24 days post op/calcium issue

Patricia Hagmaier
on 8/30/07 12:01 pm - Wehonah, NJ
Hey everyone, I am so amazed at how well this surgery has worked.  I guess int he back of my mind I was afraid I would be the one that it didn't work on. I am down from my highest weight of 258 down to 232 so a total loss of 26lbs.  I am blown away.  I am getting out almost everyday and walking alot just doing everyday stuff and I am walking at night.  Not perfectly yet, but I am getting there.  I know once it cools off a bit I will be much more eager.  We are also talking about getting an eleptical for home so I have access right there so I don't have to worry about the elements, esp during winter. I feel really good except for my incision pain.  Why I am still hurting I dont know, but I have one really large scare on my right about 3.5 inches and it is really sore.  That is the only one that hurst. I am really having a hard time getting in my calcium because it constipates me sooooooo bad.  Does anyone else have this problem. I don't know what to do, I am taking colace like I am supposed to, but to no avail. Any suggestions would be great. I love you all and am praying for all that you are doing well and for those getting ready to take the plunge, my prayers are with you for no complicatons and a quick recovery. The Lord bless all of you Trish
PittsburghCutie
on 8/30/07 11:56 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Trish-

I can't help you with either. Pardon my french when I say. I haven't **** right since that surgery. I wish I was constipated. Maybe cut back on your calcium? I eat tums (extra calcium) as my calcium source. I'm also 3 years out.

As for the incision site. I remember being tender at my largest site, but only for about 3 weeks or so. Maybe call doc?

Good luck-
Liz
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
marieh
on 8/31/07 7:37 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Trish! I had lots of pain at my main incision site but it only lasted a few weeks. Course, it hurt getting up and down, pretty much ...it hurt MOVING.  Then one day it just stopped! I've had some serious dumping issues...though not from THAT exit!  I spent part of Tuesday night and all day Wednesday throwing up so much I got dehydrated. The doc on call didn't tell me to cut the pedialyte with water, and ti's no wonder babies throw that back up!!   I take two caltrate D 600 mg chewables a day, but separately.  If you take them together your body can only absorb so much so it won't be as efficient. I'm taking so many pills a day I'm thinking about getting those pill boxes to keep em straight.  At least so far, I'm off of one bp medicine.  I have a treadmill and a bike at home, along with a platinum gym for weights. I had to take a few days off from walking while I was sick, but now I'm ready to go uphill again!! :) Good luck! Marie

Patricia R.
on 9/2/07 11:47 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Trish, I had my surgery open, so I can't advise you on the lap incision pain, except to say if it is really bothersome, you might need to talk to your doc.  As for calcium, I am using the chewable Caltrate D twice a day as well.   Are you getting enough water?  Make sure you are drinking at least 64 ounces of water a day.  Also, be sure you are not getting caffeine, as that acts as a diuretic.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views