Anxiety Attacks/Medication

Lalocaweta
on 8/30/07 7:52 am - Spicewood, TX
I have had really bad anxiety attacks the past few days - I know what the trigger is. But - when I talked to my psych  - he said he would prescribe some new medication for them. So when DH went to pick up RX - turns out it is Xanax,....I KNOW I should not take that - as I am a high school counselor who works w/ students who take it all the time (NOT for any medical reason) What should I do??? Anne
PittsburghCutie
on 8/30/07 11:51 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
*My opinion only*

I know I have serious anxiety to the point my heart triple beats just by getting in my car(I have no idea why I have a phobia of driving or being a passenger in a moving vehicle) Some days are better than others. I've told my shrink about this multiple times. I have other issues aside from the whole car thing. I eat xanax when I need to. Not as a recreational drug. I don't abuse it, I eat them when I need them. NEED.

Good luck Anne, I'd rather be chilled out than anxiety ridden. Again, only my opinion.

Liz
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
Patricia R.
on 9/2/07 2:34 pm - Perry, MI
Anne, What other drugs have you had addiction problems with?  Talk to the doctor and ask about the addictive nature of Xanax and share your concerns about being addicted. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

NeedHelp
on 9/3/07 6:51 am - Rockford, IL
Have you tried any of the medications like Buspar?  It takes a few weeks to kick in but then works fairly well. I do know that when you need anxiety relief  you need it now.  Also, just because kids abuse it, doesn't mean you will  abuse Xanex unless you have had that issue before. Maybe you could just take it until your doctor could prescribe something not addicting like the Buspar and it has time to kick in.  Also, do you take antidepressants?  If I keep my antidepressants on the even, my anxiety levels are so much better. Hope some suggestions work.  I know how HORRIBLE it is to feel anxiety.  Kim M.
Jane Doe
on 1/20/08 4:12 pm
I asked the Doctor if they had something not quite as strong. I almost got killed in a car wreck because I didn't know about it and how strong it was.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views