Switching Addictions

RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/29/07 12:33 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
A couple of weekends ago my boyfriend and I went to a local AA conference.. it was our first.  On the Saturday night meeting.. they had a count down of SOBRIETY.. they asked if anyone had so and so many years and no one raised their hands or stood up.. and then he asked for another so and so amount of years.. *I'll say 25* and a man.. that evenings speaker.. stood up and everyone in the room clapped and applauded for him.. and so it went.. 24 years.. 23 years.. 15 years.. and so on.. and everyone received an applause.. until finally.. they said.. "is there anyone here that has 1 day sobriety?? " and two people stood up.. and everyone clapped...  and then.. EVERYONE stood up.  Those two people with their 1 day of sobriety received a standing ovation.. let me tell YOU.. my boyfriend and I had a tear or two in our eyes.. it dawned on us then just HOW IMPORTANT those two people where.. and that the 1 day was the hardest step.. if not for the new ones.. the older ones would not succeed. *STANDING OVATIONS* .. 4 days is awesome.. and so is 1 day
Karen N.
on 8/29/07 11:28 am - Charlotte, NC

Shay and Sandy,

You don't have to fight the alcohol battle alone. There are plenty of people ready, willing and very anxious to help. Many of us have been were you are and would love to show you how we got through it.

What do you have to lose?

Friend of Bill W.   "I come from a long line of plump women with bad knees"

ShayZ
on 8/29/07 12:10 pm - Somewhere, TX
Sandy wow, I never would have thought to describe it in that manner but it fits.  LOL, a part of me is relieved that there are only two personalities. Seriously, though, everyone is right, we aren't the first ones to go through this and unfortunately  we won't be the last.  Does anyone know the research on WLS patients maybe in comparison to the "normal" population?   And yes, I am one of those geeks who has to occupy my mind at all times, because if I don't Mr. Hyde may come a callin'.
Lalocaweta
on 8/30/07 7:47 am - Spicewood, TX
I am probably only repeating what other people said. I am a child of the 80's - I did more cocaine that I want to admit until 1989 when I became pregnant w/ my son - and I quit everything (drugs and alcohol) Then - in aboput 1992 - I found a new drug of choice - food....And I gained 10 lbs every year...until 2004 when I weighed nearly 300 pounds and had GBS. And since then - guess what -I have been drinking WAY too much. Many (if not all of us) have addiction issues - and once we can't use food anymore to "coat" them - we go to alcohol (or sex) - as those are legal. I have found an AA group and going each day at a time - but I have come to realize - that I got fat from a drug of choice and I need to NOT find another one - but figure out why I need to "drug" Anne
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views