MEETINGS.. SPONSORS..

RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/23/07 10:40 pm, edited 8/23/07 10:41 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
I went to AA after work yesterday.. it's a Big Book study group that meets at 5:30 and is on my way home from work.  I'm gonna try and start making that meeting *I hope*..  I have a higher chance of going to that one.. since it is on my way home from work and it meets everyday.   So often I get home and hate going back out.. cuz I'm just tired.  I think if I can get to that one.. and I need to learn more of the BIG BOOK.. I've not read it.. I've not gotten a sponser.. I've not followed the steps..  yet I've remained sober for 9 months..   but I want to grow spiritually... I want to follow the steps for my own well being.. and personal experience.  Plus the odds of me not relapsing some time down the road is greater by applying the steps to my life.   What is it that you look for in a sponsor??   Is it best to find one in a meeting that you will be more apt to go to regularly.. or not so much but like the people alot..  I ask cuz.. I'm more apt to go to this meeting as it's on my way home everyday.. and it meets daily.  But I don't know the people.. yet.. I guess if I keep going and put myself out there.. they would be friendly too. But.. there is a group of people that I really like.. they are country folk that are warm and friendly.. but they only meet on Tuesdays at 8.. and most get together again on Thursdays (at a care unit) at 7.   I just don't know rather to try and look for a sponsor that I would see/interact with daily.. or a couple times a week..  which meetings I should try to go to.. the everyday one.. or the one where I already like the people..???   Like I told Tri****'s sometimes a person who is not standing so close to the picture/object that can see things more clearly.. WHAT'S YOUR TAKE... ADVICE.. RECOMMENDATION..?? hugs, Rhonda
PittsburghCutie
on 8/24/07 1:08 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I picked my sponsor from the meeting I attend on mon,wed, and fri's....I had a minor meltdown wednesday and called her. I think I freaked her out a little bit....she wasn't at the meeting this morning.

I don't know what to tell you doll....I spill my guts to my sponsor and ask for help with step 2/3 and she told me to differentiate my spirituality and God. WTF does that mean....that was no help at all. Then she doesn't show up this morning?

I'm questioning it now.

Sorry I can't help....

:love
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/24/07 1:56 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
read this..  http://www.step12.com/step-2.html and then google more.. and see what you can find.. to help you and I'll search the internet and see what I might find to help me regarding Sponsors thanks for helping me, to help myself too.. I didn't think to google sponsor.. just to google looking for an answer to help you.. *shaking head in bewilderment*..
RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/24/07 2:17 am, edited 8/24/07 2:22 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
found this.. just sharing incase there is any others who wants/needs a sponsor and is confused like myself.  http://alcohol411.info/AA%20Sponsor.htm http://alcohol411.info/What%20To%20Look%20For%20In%20A%20Spo nsor.htm
marieh
on 8/27/07 7:57 am - So. Easton, MA
How are you supposed to know how and what to differentiate when (to most of us?) G-d and spirituality are so intertwined and identified as one and the same??  Hugs, Marie

Patricia R.
on 8/24/07 9:20 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Rhonda, I understand the dilemma of not wanting to go back out after getting home from work.  That is one of the many reasons I am attracted to an early morning meeting before work.  There was one meeting on Friday nights I would occassionally attend when I did not have my therapy appointments, and that is where I would see my old sponsor, the one who just recently dropped me. It is recommended that a sponsor be someone that you see at one of your meetings, so that she and you can see each other on a regular basis.  My suggestion would be to attend the meetings you can make the most, like the one right after work, and see if there is a woman there who would have the recovery you desire.  Ideally, it is someone who you can relate to on some life issue, as she has endured some of what you face.  If not, then broaden your horizons and try to find one at the other meeting and make the commitment to make that other meeting in spite of not wanting to go back out.  Question:  Did you have any trouble going back out after coming home if you needed a drink?  I would probably guess not.  "How It Works" talks about being "willing to go to any length" to get recovery.  That is why I make the 6 a.m. meeting as much as I can.  I once had a sponsor who was divorced and had a daughter who was an addict.  She helped me get through my first year of sobriety, as I was going through my divorce and my son was dealing with a heroin addiction.   I hope this helps.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views