New to forum

nomore44
on 8/21/07 8:30 am - RI
Hi everyone, I would like to start posting on this forum.  I attended OA a long time ago, but was not ready.  I currently am attending a 12 step group at my church and need to get to an OA meeting.  I am miserable.  I have not done any really serious work in my recovery, and now I think I am at my bottom.  I hope to give as well as receive support here.  Today is my first day of what I am calling abstinence. Thank you all for listening.  Susan noMore44 BMI near 50 Preop with Dr. Hess/Boston
RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/21/07 12:13 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hi Susan...  I'm Rhonda an Alcoholic.. with the help of AA meetings and friends, boyfriend and this board, I've been sober since 11/17/06.   Atho.. I have yet to get a sponsor and fairly recently came to the realization that I still really need one and to work the steps myself in order to fully grow spiritually in the program.  I've been praying and keeping a watchful eye open for someone whom I can trust and that I feel will be a good match for me.  I have quite a bit in my profile.. feel free to read and ask any questions if you like.    Welcome to the Board.. and I look forward to your posts Hugs, Rhonda
marieh
on 8/21/07 8:40 pm - So. Easton, MA
Hi Susan!   Welcome! I'm a patient of Dr. Hess from his Quincy office. I LOVE this guy! You'll feel wonderful wiht him. Hes' supportive, informative, gentle and caring. As for the food addiction, there isn't a whole lot of therapy that goes on in the program. People take far better care of hteir physical health than their mental health. I see a counsellor weekly for my triggers on the premise that what made me want to eat BEFORE surgery wont' go away just because I HAVE surgery. I got my stomach operated on, not my brain. Give yourself the gift of a counsellor you can trust and feel comfortable with. This group is amazing! Glad to see you here!! Marie

NeedHelp
on 8/22/07 12:25 am - Rockford, IL
Susan,  I don't post here a lot, but read alot.  This board has the most open, caring people.  We are all humans with our frailties, but it seems like everyone here encourages each other through the good, bad and ugly.  Welcome aboard!  Kim M.
nomore44
on 8/22/07 3:06 am - RI
Hello Rhonda, Marie, and Kim, Thank you all so much for responding to my post.  The rest of yesterday wasn't so good, I ended up bingeing.  Today is a new day and so far, I am on target.  I will be praying for all of you, and hope to post here often.   This does seem like a great group.  BTW Marie, do you go to the support groups.  I usually go to Quincy but this month went to BMC.  Maybe I'll see you there sometime. Take Care All, Susan Nomore44
PittsburghCutie
on 8/22/07 11:34 am - Pittsburgh, PA

Welome to the board!

Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
nomore44
on 8/27/07 7:50 am - RI
Thanks Pittsburgh Cutie for responding!! I guess you like the Steelers right? Me and DH are Patriots fans! Take care, Susan L.
Patricia R.
on 8/22/07 9:31 am - Perry, MI
Hi Susan,  Welcome.  My first 12-Step meeting was OA.  I went to both OA and AA for years.  I am very familiar with OA.  I have their Step Workbook, and recommend it for anyone working any 12 Step program.  It is thorough.  I used to go to a great Step Writing meeting.  We would take one question out of that workbook and spend 15-20 minutes writing on the question and then share it with the group.  It was the best meeting because people are able to share differently in writing than in free speech. Anywho, I agree that we can have our stomachs operated on, but our thinking about food and using it to cope still occurs after surgery. I hope you will contribute and share with us. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

nomore44
on 8/27/07 7:46 am - RI
Hi Trish, thanks for responding.  Our group uses "the 12 steps for Christians".  Today I just bought a book specifically for OA by Elisabeth L.  I am planning to have the surgery but I am so aware that I am a food addict, and the surgery will not cure this.  I am just scared that I am going to die if I don't have the surgery.  Thanks for listening.   Take Care, Susan L.
Patricia R.
on 8/27/07 8:16 am - Perry, MI
HI Susan, Do you go to Celebrate Recovery?  I have always wanted to attend one of their meetings.  I am a believer and have used the Recovery Devotional Bible for years.  It has helped me so much in learning about my addiction from a Biblical perspective. God bless your surgery preparations and all that you endeavor. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views