Lawsuit Dismissed

Curious G.
on 8/4/07 11:55 pm - Peachtree City, GA
**RELIEF**  That is what I am feeling at the moment.  Sheer and utter relief. As a result of my accident on 7/30/06, there was one remaining claim (to my knowledge it was just this one) that had yet been unpaid/unsettled by my Insurance company.  The Insurance company had told me that with all the various claims against my policy for that night, there was a good chance the payout would hit the max policy limit and someobdy would not get paid.  This person, having not gotten anywhere with the Insurance company filed a lawsuit for 50K plus punitive damages.  (50 k is the policy limit, but her injuries were 8 k)  So here I was with paperwork I had to take to an attorney for "interrogetories", wondering how in the world I was going to afford the attorney, much less the judgement.  It was looming over me and causing me to think crazy Michelle thoughts (yes I've mentioned my mind is a scary neighborhood) such as maybe I'd be better off homeless and unemployed as nobody would even bother suing me then.  Yes, nutso thinking :-) So... I just prayed for acceptance and humility.  I put my intent out into the universe to make restitution to the injured party.  I take full responsibility for driving intoxicated.  This is a very possible consequence of such an action and I would deal with the consequence the best I could - with dignity.  Of course, I was very worried about paying a judgement as a single mom and sole provider for 3 kids - very upset that I'd let THEM down once again.  sigh. Well..  although I still hadn't gone to see my attorney yet (I need a 12 step group for procrastinators), I had begun to just accept it instead of staying up nights worrying about it.  I got a letter yesterday from the plaintiff's attorney.  The case has been dismissed.  I"m not certain, but I'm assuming that State Farm finally settled with them at an amount they were willing to accept.  OR - during the pre-trial investigation, they realized I have *NO* assets and it might not be worth the cost of litigation against me.  Either way, I'm extremely relieved. I feel like a 300 ton boulder has been lifted off my shoulders.  And the sick Michelle feels as though I don't deserve it!  LOL - How in the hell can I make amends to her now?  Well - now that the court stuff is not pending I'm allowed to contact her (my attorney wouldn't let me while court was pending).  I'm thinking of sending her a letter or card expressing how absolutely horrified I am that my actions caused her pain and that I'm deeply sorry for that.  I just know if it were me or my loved ones injured by a drunk driver I'd be calling for his/her head.  I do want to put the amend out there - just for myself really - so that I've made sure to communicate to her my deep remorse.  Good idea?  Bad Idea?  What do y'all think? At any rate, I'm extremely happy I'm not being sued after all (at least for this claim). love and light, Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

PittsburghCutie
on 8/5/07 2:41 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Michelle.....You lucky sob. Abviously your higher power was listening. I'm glad to know your stress of that situation is gone.

As for contacting the claimant.

Step 9 of AA-Make direct amends to such people (Referring to step 8 make a list of all we harmed and became willing to make ammends with) wherever possible, EXCEPT when to do so would injure or harm them or others.

Put yourself in the claimants position and think hard and good about it before doing it. If someone mangled me or my husband because of driving drunk, I would want thier head on a platter. That is my immediate thinking. However, seeing as a year has gone by it is quite possible(i have know idea who this person is or what they believe) I do know, if a year has passed and I was a firm believer in my higher power...alcoholic or not, I would/do believe in forgiveness. You have to forgive or you will end up being miserable. Now the question is.....is the claimant ready to forgive?

This is a toughie of a question. I would be very torn between what to do. I do know, if I was fully forgiven of myself for the night of the accident, I would send the letter. A detailed letter at that.

Good luck doll~

Liz
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/07 6:12 am - Phoenix, AZ
Please DO NOT send the letter!  You are just adding more salt to the wound so to speak!  Leave the person alone please...I know what this is like so please trust me.  It will only upset the person and cause them to re-hash the whole situation once again.  If you feel the need to amend the situation, perhaps you could volunteer your time to a worthwhile organization and offer up that time on the victims behalf?   The best is to move forward and take care of yourself and your family.  Life must move forward, not backwards.  I am not trying to upset you, PLEASE dont feel that I am intending that.  I only want you to know that it is very hard to be on the 'other' side of this.....
Patricia R.
on 8/5/07 9:17 am - Perry, MI
Hi Michelle, I am so glad that you are off the hook in this last suit.  Praise the Lord.  I agree that you should NOT send the letter.  Talking to your sponsor would be a good place to start on this one.  Then, do some volunteer work somewhere.  Get more involved in service, or volunteer at a rehab center or detox for a few hours a month.  Donate some money to a children's charity.  Just don't send the letter. I am glad you did not allow your mind to take you places.  My mind is a terrible neighborhood these days. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views