State Based Learning

Curious G.
on 7/15/07 8:34 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Eureka! The other day I posted about inhibitions and was wondering why my skills relating to men seem non-existent since I've gotten sober.  Well by George, I've figured it out! I'm currently taking a court mandated Drug and Alcohol Risk prevention program as part of my DUI consequences.  We learned yesterday about something called "state based learning".  The concept is that we acquire certain skils while using during a certain BAC "window" if you will, and that the only time we "remember" those skills is when we are within that same BAC window.  This explains why some people shoot pool, dance, bowl, throw darts and flirt at their best only while in that window (for me it was always what I called the 2-5 beer span).  With continued use/drinking we reinforce this state based learning.  Take away the substance and we have to re-learn those skills all over again in sobriety. It totally supports my pondering of why I have trouble relating to men in sobriety.  I always was my most flirtatious and social in that 2-5 drink window.  (we won't get into how friendly I got AFTER that window hee hee) I'm learning some remarkable things about myself in this class that are very encouraging.  I'll admit I was dreading the class and had a poor attitude about it, but I'm finding it to be very informative.  Having never been through official drug/alcohol treatment, I simply did not know those things! I just wanted to share with you guys! Love and light, Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

RHONDA FROM KY
on 7/15/07 10:05 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
 I totally understand... I met a guy while we were both in our drunken state..  learning how to be "FRIENDLY" sober is/was a little bit more challenging...  but I guess I'm willing to re-learn thanks for the info and best wishes..
Patricia R.
on 7/16/07 10:38 am - Perry, MI
This makes total sense to me.  Thanks for sharing your "learning" experience with us. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views