Finally stopped smoking cigarettes, and it was easy!

SFCynthia
on 7/1/07 4:17 am - San Francisco, CA
Yup,  I hadn't smoked cigarettes for 12 years, and then when I started drinking alcohol after the surgery...I also started smoking cigarettes again. Well I had quit pot.  Quit alcohol and drugs, but still could not quit those darn cigarettes.  And I hated them!  And my kids hated them. So someone told me about the new medication, Chantix.  It is amazing.  And I highly recommend it.  I have not smoked since May 6th.  And I have weened myself off the Chantix also.  I only used it for one month since I had not been a heavy smoker.  1 pack every 2-3 days average. I just need to get over the physical addiction, and then I could work on the emotional addiction to it. The medication works in two ways...one, it blocks the receptors in your brain so the nicotine can't get in there.  And two...it works as an antianxiety medication to help with the cravings over quitting.  You take it for one week, and continue to smoke at the same time.  Then you quit smoking and continue to take the Chantix.  I have one friend who was a heavy smoker.  2 packs a day for 20 or more years.  She is taking the Chantix for a full year to get over the habit. But for the first time she is able to quit and stick with it.  It really is an amazing stuff.  Google it, and check it out. And feel free to PM me if you have any questions or ask on this forum.
Patricia R.
on 7/1/07 10:34 am - Perry, MI
Congratulations!!!!!  I think my niece is going to try that.  I wish my son had a prescription plan so he could try it. Keep up the good work. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 7/1/07 9:51 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
WONDERFUL.. I stopped also a couple months ago..using the patch..  with my boyfriend who used Chantx.  He's on medicare/medicaid and they cover that Rx while mine does not.  However he relapsed from alcohol last week and went back to smoking, but is currently stopping again in rehab with the aid of Chanitx.   it is a good thing.. also boyfriend found out about a Rx that is given in shot form once a month that is suppose to help with alcohol cravings.. he had taken the pills before but quit when he got confident.. but is checking on getting the shot also..  (i don't remember the name of it) but can find out if anyone's interested.... or they can probably GOOGLE.. and find it easy.
iwant2sing
on 8/4/07 1:09 am - park forest, IL
Lap Band on 08/24/07 with
I'm getting my chantix today.
SFCynthia
on 8/4/07 5:35 pm - San Francisco, CA
That is great. That stuff is pretty powerful.  Be sure to go slowly, and follow the directions.  I took a whole one after I had stopped for a month, and I got pretty sick.  So I won't be doing that again.  But it sure did work to help me quit. I will be 3 months with no cigarettes in a couple days. I really do consider it a miracle drug.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Carl Sagan

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views