Smoking Pot?

lady_deedlit
on 6/20/07 10:16 am, edited 6/20/07 10:17 am - NJ
Let me first say that I am very nervous to ask this question here. I am an occasional pot smoker, roughly smoking 2 to 3 times per week. I do not drink or do any other types of drugs. I do not smoke cigarettes. I mainly smoke pot to calm my nerves and deal with pain management caused by my fibromyalgia. Please do not pass judgement on me. I am hoping to find help with this question. Can you smoke pot after you have surgery? When is an appropriate date to stop before you have surgery? (my surgery is scheduled for july 16th) Am I required to tell my doctor that I smoke pot? I would appreciate any help you can give me. I do not know anyone else who has had this surgery and do not feel comfortable asking this question in support group.
Patricia R.
on 6/20/07 2:05 pm - Perry, MI
You ask some very good questions that may need to be discussed with your surgeon.  Most WLS patients are told to quit smoking cigarettes before they have their surgery because of the respiratory therapy that is required after surgery, as well as the potential for blood clots and problems with the pou*****ision not healing properly.  I am not sure what the recommendation would be concerning marijuana.  You may also want to explore anti-anxiety medications that are not addictive.  I would encourage you to explore healthier alternatives for your anxiety and pain management.  After surgery, you are going to be encouraged to walk, and then develop an exercise program.  A good workout does wonders for my anxiety.  I also know some people who have had some relief for their fibromyalgia after weight loss.   Have you had your psych evaluation yet?  You may wish to discuss this with the doctor who does the eval.  They may or may not consider you addicted or not.  If you are addicted, you may want to look at that more closely before having the surgery.  Giving up the food is basically giving up another addiction.  I do not judge you for what you are sharing.  I applaud the fact that you are concerned and are examining this behavior in light of your potential surgery.   Good luck. Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 6/20/07 2:09 pm - Perry, MI
I just reread your original post and see that you are already scheduled for the surgery, and therefore probably already had the psych eval done.  I really think you need to be honest with the surgeon who is going to do the surgery, as the doc must know all there is to know about you prior to performing this surgery.  It is not fair to the doctor to withhold this information.  If you are addicted to the pot, it could be a problem for you later on in adjusting to the new lifestyle that goes with WLS. Good luck. trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

lady_deedlit
on 6/24/07 2:13 am - NJ
Thank you for responding. I have decided to stop smoking in anticipation of my surgery. Thank you again for your honesty.
SFCynthia
on 6/21/07 5:44 am - San Francisco, CA
I'm sorry that you have to feel pain so much. I smoked pot for 25 years.  It never helped me with pain or anxiety...LOL. Anyway,  I quit smoking after I had the surgery.  I was getting woozy and light-headed from it after my blood pressure started dropping. Plus...for me, it just became really boring.  I got bored with it.  Now I have not smoked it in over 5 years, and I still don't miss it.  I am not against it, but I find that life is far more rich without it.  I wish I had not wasted 25 years of my time on it.  I had loved it, but I'm glad I finally got bored with it. If you don't want to tell your doctor I would quit at least a month or more before the surgery.  But if you can't quit it, then be sure to tell them.
lady_deedlit
on 6/24/07 2:11 am - NJ
Thanks for your advice. I'm three weeks out so I am just going to stop now in anticipation of the surgery. Since it is not a major part of my life I don't feel that I will miss it. I plan not to do it post surgery until I am fully healed and then I will decide. Thank you again for your advice. I appreciate your honesty.
SFCynthia
on 6/25/07 4:58 am - San Francisco, CA
I'm glad. I mean really...I had always held the misconception that pot made everything more colorful and rich, but now that I don't smoke it...I find that I can remember details far better.  Movies are better, music is better.  It just seems everything is much better (for me at least) being clean and sober.
kkortsen
on 6/22/07 12:23 am - AZ
Hi there, I agree with Cynthia.  Also, the smoke can cause ulcers in your new little tummy. Give it a shot!  Life is great being mind altering free! (Trust me, been there) Good Luck
lady_deedlit
on 6/24/07 2:12 am - NJ
Never thought of the ulcers! Thank you for bringing that up.
PittsburghCutie
on 6/26/07 4:12 am, edited 6/26/07 4:14 am - Pittsburgh, PA
As you said, do not judge.  I'm 3 years post-op, still smoke cigarettes daily, and still smoke pot,  not nearly as much as I used to.  It gets me sick now....The high is fun for about 15-20 minutes then my stomach starts flip floppin....I can't tell if I have to **** or if I have to vomit.  Almost like being on a roller coaster of some nature. I do not by any mean support the fact of smoking and smoking, however, I've tried to quit smoking cigs 4 times in the past 3 years and can't do it.  *knocking on wood*  Thank gosh nothing serious has happened, altho, bleeding ulcers inside my belly that put me in the ER twice because I was poopin blood.  NOT COOL.   You would still think I'd learn my lesson by now.   I still smoke cigarettes. As for surgery....my surgeon did a nicotine test the morning of surgery, if I failed, I got bumped for surgery.  You will get a series of blood work run, which I am sure they will see the pot.  I got mine done the week before.  The nicotine test, was a saliva swab in my mouth. I'm not trying to scare you by any means, I'm just saying, you need to go into this with the proper mental and physical status.  It's a major surgery and a major part of your life. Good luck! Liz
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety