vicodin

angeldore
on 6/19/07 2:58 am
So, I have been an addict for my whole life to just about everything you can think of at one time or another. Since the surgery though, I can no longer drink, my body just can't handle it, & being a mom of 4, my drug years are now behind me, and since food is no longer the issue that it used to be, the one thing left for me is pills. Vicodin is my choice. I take it daily for my fybromalysia(SP), & with that availability came my addiction. I found I liked the way it made me feel. I can cope with the day without feeling 'wasted' or 'stoned'. I have gotten to the point though that when I go to visit my sickly cousin I am hitting him up for some of his, or I have even stolen some from him, & that is when I realized I have a problem. But I am too scared of giving them up or telling anyone of this new addiction. Like every other time in mylife I feel I can do this on my own, but I don't want to. Anyone else addicted to Vicodin? Or pills in general? How have you gotten through? Have any of you found that it is harder now that you have had this surgery & don't have food to turn to? Thanks for reading & hopefully responding,  Angelic

Patricia R.
on 6/19/07 9:29 am - Perry, MI
In my addiction history, I have used and abused prescription pain killers, in addition to my alcohol and food.  The hardest thing about being an addict/alcoholic is admitting it to ourselve, much less anyone else.  In recovery, I have been told, and firmly believe that we are as sick as our secrets.  That is why AA and NA meetings have people sharing their stories of addiction/alcoholism and recovery.  Talking about what it was like when we used our substance frees us from its insidious power.  In talking about our addictions to people in meetings, we help the newcomers learn they are not alone and that there is hope of recovery for themselves. If you cannot talk to a doctor or family member, consider a therapist or go to an NA meeting, or AA meeting.  It was my therapist who encouraged me to go to AA.  I could not admit to my own husband my alcohol consumption when I first started recovery.  I was a closet drinker married to a man who thought I gave up drinking when I met him.   I was also afraid to give up drinking.  Dealing with the emotional pain I was in was too frightening.  In AA, I found hope, and a new way of dealing with my negative emotions.  Recovery, for me, is one day at a time.  If I had to think about not drinking for the rest of my life I would panic.  I just give it up one day at a time.  Sometimes just one minute at a time.   Hang in there.  There is hope of being free of the bondage of drugs and alcohol.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 6/19/07 10:48 am - So. Easton, MA

It sure sounds like you're trapped in the bottom of that pill bottle. And you know it too.  I've found this is not enough. Rock bottom to me (just my opinion) means you know you're an addict AND your addiction makes you powerless against it,.  The only real answer is surrender to your Higher Power for the help to climb out. Not easy...not fun.  But necessary to save your life, your kids lives, and those who love you. Find a 12-step. www.aa.org   or the NA equivalent.  When you're ready to get clean, they'll be there to help you ... ONLY if you help yourself to the process first.  It works.  Sobriety and a clean reality are far better than the lie we allow ourselves to believe when high.  Good luck, Marie

kkortsen
on 6/22/07 12:26 am - AZ
Angelic, Oh have I been there!  I was blessed and gave up all of it.  Drugs, cigs, booze, pills.  That was in 1999.  I sure feel and live much better.  Try NA, they are nuts!  Feels like home. Good luck
Lindaanne
on 6/22/07 3:42 am - SSP, MN
CuteDonna
on 6/25/07 4:33 am - Effort, PA
They say Lorazepam (Ativan) can be addicting and one Doctor is trying to take me off and another gives me more. I shake at night without it, sigh. Donna
auntweezie
on 7/4/07 2:58 pm - PA
HI- I am so proud of you for admitting to yourself and us that you can't put the vicodan down. I got sober frmo pills, valium, speed and alcohol in 1984 and just had 23 years. There is hope. I am preop wls surgery and feel as if I am waiting forever since Dec 2006 to get scheduled. Aside from that, and as a therapist, I want you to know that it can be tough on your body to detox from vicodan so first things first.... ask your Doc if there is a local hospital you can go in for a few days to detox. Thsi is essential. I have worked with many parents who did not know their kids needed detox off bezodiazepens and the kids went into seizures. Check this out with your doctor. Get a good addictions therapist. If you or husabnd workd, try to go to EAP at job-- this is free counseling. Or contact me and I'll be happy to help. Take good care of you. Louise
angeldore
on 7/5/07 9:36 am
I didn't know that the detox of vicodin was so very severe! I am afraid to talk to my dr. about it because I am still so afraid to stop the drug. I don't know if i can go without it. And if I stop them on my own (which I am more comfortable doing), what am I to expect? Do I do it by slowing down the amount of pills I take a day, slowly one by one? I know, I need to talk to my Dr. but like I said, I'm just not ready. Angelic

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views