Why is life always so full of pitfalls??

marieh
on 6/7/07 12:31 pm - So. Easton, MA
Today at work I found out our jobs are ,more than likely being outsourced to India by either the end of hte summer or the end of the year.  I'm guessing that what this means is when I'm back from my post-op leave of absence my job will be gone. The bank policy on severence is that IF the job is outsourced they don't have to pay us anything. Because I'm out on leave, when I come back, if my job is gone I have 30 days paid to find another in the bank. If I can't, I'm out.  So now that the wedding is done, I was waiting for my surgery date thinking all was fine, and now I have to worry about having a job before Aug. 1st to make sure I can get it paid for, and after to make sure I can pay my bills! Might be time to look at other options...ONE thing is for sure, when I'm home recuperating, I'm putting my resume up on Monster.com. Still, I've no desire to drink, bake or overeat. Thank G-d!! Marie

Patricia R.
on 6/7/07 12:44 pm - Perry, MI
Marie, Financial insecurity is the pits.  I have been there.  Early in my sobriety, I lost my teaching job, and was really struggling to find a new one.  When I found the new one, I was fired on the 8th day because the principal did not like me.  I was devastated. There is a good story in the AA Big Book that discusses acceptance of life's cir****tances in it.  Here is the link to the story if you are interested in reading it. http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_theystoppedintime16.pdf Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 6/7/07 8:32 pm - So. Easton, MA
Trish,   Thank you again for coming up with just what I needed to see!! You ARE my hero, girl!! :) This really helped me relax. I've been working on staying positive with living every day at the speed of life...and sometimes the speed bumps knock me....this story brought me back to reality. Thank you again my friend!! Hugs. Marie

Patricia R.
on 6/7/07 10:44 pm - Perry, MI
You are so welcome, Marie. I only learned what I know from other people in AA who directed me to that story when my life sucked. Keep sharing and keep up the good work.. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

DeeBee
on 6/8/07 3:23 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I got laid off two months before my WLS in 2004. I was scared to death, I thought I was going to have to give up the idea of having the surgery. But I managed to get some consulting work and kept up COBRA so the surgery was paid for and because I was consulting, I could take as much time off as I wanted, being my own boss. So, keep in mind that when one door shuts, another ALWAYS opens. -=db=-
marieh
on 6/8/07 6:40 am - So. Easton, MA
Thanks for your reply! Funny you mention that too, because I'm going to look into a certificate for an addiction counsellor. Not a social worker, but the addiction bit. Course, knowing me, I'll find a job just to pay the bills while I'm in school for that MSW! LOL...but thanks for the suggestion...I'd forgotten all about COBRA and never thought of finding a job for the interim until whatever new insurance kicks in! I do have something set aside for an emergency, and this would qualify for me!! Marie

Patricia R.
on 6/8/07 12:38 pm - Perry, MI
After my divorce, I went back to school and earned an MSW.  I am now a licensed social worker, and work part time.  I did two internships in rehab settings.  One was a women's halfway house.  The other was a long term residential facility for dually diagnosed, severely mentally ill, addicts and alcoholics.  Kept me sober. COBRA is a great suggestion. Hugs, Trish
Albert Schweitzer

SFCynthia
on 6/10/07 11:18 am - San Francisco, CA
I am so sorry.  I hope you are able to find a new career.  How can a bank go to India? Is it the phone customer service area?
marieh
on 6/10/07 8:48 pm - So. Easton, MA
Hi Cynthia!  I'm in collateral loan administration. I work on attorney prepared documents with a specialization in commercial real estate. This week the mgmt  team they're sending is looking at the teams that book the loans on the systems. They're trying to see how much of that job can be sent over. Next week is collateral's turn. They're not stupid. They know that i fyou can read english, you can do my job.  And for about $5 an hour. IF I still have a job when my date rolls around, I'm safe until I return to work. While I'm on my leave of absence, I'm planning on keeping one ear on the job and my eyes on monster.com.  I might need to either move to a smaller bank in hopes that this bank won't eventually take it over, or go back to a law firm (shudder!).  Marie

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views