My mother

Patricia R.
on 6/1/07 8:53 am - Perry, MI
Help!!!!!  I had my WLS in August.  I have been trying to make sure I get my protein in.  I like to eat cheese sticks as a snack, as well as add low fat cheese to eggs to make a small omelette.  My mother, who has had two heart attacks and is on choleterol medication, has been nagging me since God knows when saying that cheese is bad and evil.  I don't eat that much each day.  I just find it a tasty way to get my protein, and calcium in.  I always use low fat, or part skim cheese.  Am I crazy, or what?  It's okay to eat small amounts of part skim cheese, isn't it?   I just had my 9 month blood work done and my cholesterol is good.  In fact, Dr. Marymor took me off my cholesterol medication back when I first had my surgery.   I think she needs her bi-polar meds adjusted.  She also went off because my daughter's baby wants to induce her instead of waiting for nature to take its course.  My daughter's doctor is also a good friend of hers and she is in a practice of five doctors.  They both want to make sure that the the friend/doc is the one who delivers the baby.   I just need to vent.  Thank God I see my therapist tomorrow.  Yes, insanity does run in my family.  Thanks, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Kathy
on 6/2/07 1:31 am - Hamilton, NJ
Trish, I've been following your posts about addiction.  I hope I am not falling into that.................but I think I am.  Wine is my drug of choice.    Red wine to be exact.   I just wanted to mention that I am over 3 years post op (many complications) and I eat cheese constantly.  My cholesterol is only 105 (go figure????)  Before WLS my cholesterol was only 180.   At this point, I don't even bother to look if it is low fat, skim or whatever.  I have maintained my loss at between 130-140 pounds. I give myself a 10 pound window.  After 10 pound (gain) - serious changes are made.  Kathy
Patricia R.
on 6/2/07 5:55 am - Perry, MI
Hey Kathy, We are practically neighbors.  I live in Langhorne, PA, right by Oxford Valley Mall, and Sesame Place.  I always use the Hamilton Train Station when I go to visit my son in New York.  Small world. If you think you have a problem with wine, do you think you need to address it at this time, or are you going to see what happens?  My philosophy on alcoholism is this.  If you think you have a problem, you probably do.  Then it is time to do something about it.  Thanks for the advice about cheese and cholesterol.  I needed to hear it is okay from other WLS pals. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

MeladyRN
on 6/2/07 12:57 pm
The proof is really that your cholesterol is acceptable, you are making excellent food choices with cheese and especially low fat. I have to agree clinically, though, with the thought that if you think you have a problem, then you probably do. We have an addiction to food and many people may exchange one addiction for another (such as alcohol, exercise, spending, etc).  The fact that you are aware is a great opportunity to seek some assistance about this and manage to stave off additional problems.
Curious G.
on 6/2/07 11:30 pm - Peachtree City, GA
*hugs* As mentioned, the proof of the pudding/cheese is in the bloodwork!  *giggle*  You are a responsible woman, taking care of herself.  Rest easy. Maybe your mother in her own off balnce way is just trying to be involved and helpful.  It's times like these, I have to look at people and remember, "this person is spiritually sick.  it's probably miserable to be in her mind.  It's probably full of anxiety and fear and turmoil.  I will pray for her"   You're doing what you need to do to take care of you.  I eat cheese all the time - full fat cheese, and my labs are great!  I have very low bad cholesterol, high good cholesterol.  I figure whatever I'm doing is working for me, and if a doctor, who has  a PHD and lots of experience tells me I'm doign well, that is the person I will trust. Hugs - I know you're venting.  I'm glad you do it here.  I'm glad I'm not the only person with people in my life whom I allow to make me second guess myself. Your mom has no control, and it probalby drives her crazy :)  Caller ID is a wonderful thing.  I set a rule with my father for instance - small doses.  I don't fight.  When he gets in "advice" mode (which as you know is really nagging mode), I just say, "that's a good idea, I'll give it some thought", and ask him questions about himself.  These types of people love to talk about themselves. giggle.  Then I go on and do what I choose to do without giving a second thought to the nagging. Spiritually sick - didn't cause it, can't change it - just have to focus on me :) love and hugs, Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Patricia R.
on 6/3/07 3:17 am - Perry, MI
Thanks, Michelle.  Mom is very sick.  She not only suffers from bipolar disorder, which made my childhood hell, she also has extreme anxiety issues, possibly OCD.   I have to remember that she is also spiritually sick.  Ever since my brother died in October, she has argued incessantly with me about my faith in God, which she lacks terribly.   I have to remember to pray for her. Thanks, Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views