What to expect at a meeting?

Loril
on 5/25/07 2:19 am - Hopkins, MN
I plan to go to one tonight-first time ever....it is an open/speaker.  I am scared to death I will have to stand up and talk and Im not ready for that.  This is why I have gone to one sooner.  Can you tell me what to expect?  Thanks

Lori at Goal  

RNY October 2004

Loril
on 5/25/07 2:22 am - Hopkins, MN
Oops-I just read down further and kind of got my answer in another post.  But any info would be appreciated (esp about the standing up and saying something part)  Lori

Lori at Goal  

RNY October 2004

RHONDA FROM KY
on 5/25/07 5:50 am, edited 5/25/07 5:51 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
if there is a speaker tonite.. you will probably not have to say anything.. unless it's just some reading before the speaker starts.. like the 12 steps.. or promise.. altho if asked.. you can always politely decline.   I hope you enjoy it.. and please let us know how it went!!
SFCynthia
on 5/25/07 11:20 am - San Francisco, CA
You do not have to talk at all.  Not one word.  Don't feel bad.  Don't raise you hand.  If they do around the room and ask you to introduce yourself...just say, "Hi, I'm *****, and I'm new"  Or if you are willing to admit it say, "I'm *****, and I'm an alcoholic". You do not ever have to talk.  The only reason we want to know who everyone is, is so we have an idea if we can talk to you afterwards. It is good to just sit back and listen.  Really.  That is the best thing you can do for yourself.  Just breath, and listen with your heart.  Leave all judgments at the door, and be willing to learn ideas that can help you get and stay sober. Even though I don't have a higher power, I loved sitting there in meetings and feeling how calm and open it was (open in expression of feelings and stories).  My life was so messed up and crazy....it was a place of strenth, guidance, and peace. Ironically, of course, with 12-step programs...they do have a solid process down that is pretty much followed at every meeting.  So it is good to just sit back and listen to learn and see how the meetings goes.  There are rules, and they are in place to keep peace, structure, and respect.  So I don't mind them.  They are helpful.  But once you know the structure...then the mind is free to express.  I never said the prayers other than the serenity prayer, and I just wouldn't say the first word, and I was never questioned about that.  I would listen, and just feel the energy.
Loril
on 5/29/07 2:01 am - Hopkins, MN
Thank you for the info!  I really appreciate it!  Lori

Lori at Goal  

RNY October 2004

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 789 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 773 views
Best Healthcare Center