first aa meeting tonight

starerindos
on 5/22/07 5:25 am
thanks for all the help and advice.  I go to my first aa meeting tonight.  I am kinda nvervous.  I dont know what to expect. 
PittsburghCutie
on 5/22/07 6:17 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Good Luck Erin! :love::kiss:
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
marieh
on 5/22/07 7:31 am - So. Easton, MA
Erin, I'm really proud of you!! I have a link from AA for the meetings in my state.  There are so many choices now! When I first went there were no "women's only" no non-smoking, no choice of open discussion or step meetings....now, it's so different!! It's awesome!  I'm so glad you're doing this for YOU!! :) More power to you! Marie

Patricia R.
on 5/22/07 8:20 am - Perry, MI
You can expect to see a lot of people of different ages who are there to get and stay sober.  There will probably be coffee, laughter, and people welcoming the newcomer, like you.  There might be readings of different kinds, and sharing, where people talk about their alcoholism and recovery.  Expect people to welcome you and some might even say you are the most important person in the room.  That is what we tell first timers in our meetings.  Ask for phone numbers of women, so you can call and talk to them and ask questions about the program.  Take deep breaths and relax.  Every single person there was a first timer at some point.  They understand how you feel.  They are there to help you, because in helping you they stay sober. Good luck. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 5/25/07 5:59 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
your description is to the Tee.. almost made be cry.. cuz it warmed my heart.  People in AA are the best.. most friendly and kind hearted people..   and  .."They are there to help you, because in helping you they stay sober. " it works!! thanks Trish
Maggie S.
on 5/22/07 1:58 pm - Chicago
Erin, I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to congratulate you on taking a very difficult first step. Everyone's first meeting experience tends to be a bit different...you may feel overwhelmed or you may feel right at home. Either way, go to another meeting...and like Trish said, try and get some phone numbers. You may use them, you may not, but at least you've got the support if you need it. Take Care, maggie
Curious G.
on 5/22/07 8:06 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Wonderful! Please let us know how it was! You should go to several to kind of "get the hang of it".  Plus, I found during those first few weeks when I was trying to get sober, that a meeting every day really helped me to not drink.  There's affirmation, support and accountability.  I can't say enough good things about the AA program - honestly.  And yes GET THOSE NUMBERS.  One of the tenets of AA is to keep our sobriety we have to "give it away".  Basically that means that you honestly HELP somebody else when you reach out to them for support or help.  Do it!  :)  I feel so honored when somebody calls me after getting my number - it helps me to stay sober when I can help others who are struggling. Way to go girl - you've been in my thoughts and prayers! Love, Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

SFCynthia
on 5/24/07 2:18 am, edited 5/24/07 3:09 am - San Francisco, CA
Hi Erin, How did it go?  I remember one of the first meetings I went to I sat in the back, and as I heard the speaker, and the shares....I just started crying.  I was so alone inside, but I had found a group of people who were telling me thier story....which was just like mine. It is a great support system.
RHONDA FROM KY
on 5/25/07 5:47 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
wanna share how your meeting went??  hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed my first and many meetings after..  
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 789 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 773 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 997 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1707 views