Detox?

DeeBee
on 5/22/07 2:44 am - Scottsdale, AZ
What is detox-ing? How do you know you need it? -=db=-
Patricia R.
on 5/22/07 8:16 am - Perry, MI
Detoxing is when the body detoxifies from a chemical poisoning, like alcohol.  The body has to be taken off drugs and alcohol in a safe way.  In hospitals and rehabs this is done with other drugs to help the body wean off the addictive drug or alcohol.   Only a medical professional can help you determine if you need to go to a detox.  I suggest you contact your family doctor, or go to a rehab and get an evaluation.   Good luck. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

SFCynthia
on 5/24/07 2:04 am, edited 5/24/07 2:14 am - San Francisco, CA
If you are talking about alcohol, then it is pretty easy to know when you need to go into an ER.  And that is when you can't stop drinking.  You can't make it a day without alcohol, or you shake badly.  They would knock me out with Ativan until my blood pressure went down to a normal rate.

IF you are talking about drugs...then there are other medications they give you for drugs like Oxycontin...I think that is the most difficult detox I have ever seen....even more than heroin. 

Drugs like Speed or cocaine do not need anything.  You just have to stop taking it, and you sleep for several days on your own. 

If you are addicted to alcohol and you try to quit cold turkey, you can suffer a seizure.  So it is very important to go to an ER right away, and do it under medical supervision. 

Once you are over the emediate physical addiction stage, then you have to work on your heart and mind.  You need to find a support system, and help.  You can not do it alone.  Or very rarely.
RHONDA FROM KY
on 5/25/07 5:42 am, edited 5/25/07 5:44 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hi Dee Bee..  If you are drinking a large amnt of alcohol.. every day or other day..  I would say you probably need detox..  if you are able to go a long period of time and not have drinks.. you may beable to stop drinking on your own without rehab.. but will definitely need help like with AA.  If you are unsure.. you should seek a counselor to evaluate and give his opinion.  Dan needed to go to rehab to seperate him from the bottle.. he was hiding his drinking from me and denying his need to drink himself.  I was able to stop just from assisting him.. and going to AA myself.  I drank large amounts but not daily.. and even wanted to not drink for weeks.  But when i did drink.. I couldn't stop drinking.. like binge drinking. have you talked to a doctor about this yet??  it really is not anything to be shameful about.. altho I do understand that a person is not ready to stop until they see it themself or there is an ultimatium.. like divorce or something..   Did you know that once on the Single's Board when I use to post about drunk n' dialing.. you asked me something to the effect about if I had a problem... I got kinda defensive and said .."why NO.. I had no problem at all.. "   BOY.. DID I HAVE A PROBLEM... we like to think we don't.. that we are just social drinkers.. but.. in our minds.. we know better!!   wishing you peace of mind and health.. http://www.cptryon.org/prayer/special/serenity.html
SFCynthia
on 5/25/07 11:26 am - San Francisco, CA
Rhonda, Man...Do I remember that one.  We all think we can control it and stop when we are ready.   Hard to admit when it is controlling us. I love the smile in your avatar!
RHONDA FROM KY
on 5/27/07 5:34 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Thank YOU so much for the compliment
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 789 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 773 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 997 views
What triggers your anxiety