Sorry, but I just don't believe in "addiction exchange"...

wiredidiot
on 5/9/07 11:26 pm - Akron, OH
Not when a gastric bypass patient NEVER had any issues before. And not when a gastric bypass patient is so far out post op that they can eat basically anything. If you seek "logic" as to why we all of a sudden started seeking out ways to calm our brains that have turned into an anxiety-ridden, foggy-minded, depressive, insominatic mess..........please read this:
http://www.geocities.com/lisanelson_2/

Curious G.
on 5/9/07 11:41 pm - Peachtree City, GA
I'm sorry, I don't believe in Santa Claus :-)  (sorry, I just had to do it) That was an interesting link you posted; thank you. To be honest, a high percentage of GBS patients *did* have issues beofore surgery, and a big issue at that - food.  For me personally, the key is compulsive behaviors.  I compulsively overate.  I also have been known to compulsively shop, drink, work, clean etc.  That is me. I truly do understand how nourishment can affect the brain's chemicals.  I'd really like to see more research on this topic.   Again, I can only speak for myself, but my transference is due to an underlying compulsive personality.  Once I no longer had food, it just manifested in other ways. Thanks again for the thought provoking read! Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

wiredidiot
on 5/10/07 1:01 am - Akron, OH
actuallly there is a ton of stuff out there on amino acids/malabsorption/enzymes, etc.... you just have to dig for it.  Most of it is in medical journals.  =( Seems the medical community would rather just push anti-depressants and other pills before even considering that it's just possible that we may just need........ummmm.....nutrients? I know that I started back on my nutrient regime again about a week ago and I know my brain feels much better! Why I stopped taking them........I will never know.   Lazy I guess.  You can bet I will not make that mistake twice.  =) I'm not saying it's a cure all, but if most of our carb cravings (yes alcohol is one of the biggest carbs of all) are being caused by lack of nutrients, what can it hurt to try extra nutrients? I have compulsions.   I love love love to do genealogy research.  I LOVE to play my online games for hours  hahha.  But I know the difference between compulsive things and uncontrollable physical cravings.  =( I've smoked since I was 12.  I've quit a few times.  It was like going through the 7th circle of hell everytime.   But that was something I had been doing since I was 12!   Nicotine coarsed through every cell in my body. Drinking was not something I did every day.  Hell, it was probably a once a year thing. To develop an uncontrollable physical craving for alcohol almost overnight?  There is definitely something not right about that.
marieh
on 5/10/07 10:00 pm - So. Easton, MA

The first time you did an online game did you do it constantly for days? Of course not.  Alcoholism or any compulsive behavior for that matter, doesn't happen after just "one".  I have the kind of personality that belongs to EVERY addict. We can be addicted to anything. Just give it enough time. Some addictions are not life-threatening..some can kill you. It's all a choice. Now I choose things that won't kill me, won't wreck my credit, won't ruin my self esteem that took so much work to rebuild....

Loril
on 5/11/07 12:06 am - Hopkins, MN
Your quote:"Not when a gastric bypass patient NEVER had any issues before" Overeating, binge eating etc ARE issues.  I don't see anyone here saying they NEVER had issues before.  I can only speak for myself...I DIDN'T drink preop.  Didn't need to. Didnt desire to.  My mistake was I didnt realize how much I was using food as a crutch or a self-soother until I didnt have it anymore.  When it was not an option, it was scary.  And when I reached out here or at the drs I was not understood and no one seemed to have any answers or ideas.  I also do agree with the phsyiology of it all, and my wish is that there were more information of eating disorders before my surgery.  More info on the psychology of food addiction.  I didn't know there was such a thing and I sure as hell didnt know I was affected.  Maybe I would've recognized myself and started there first.  But hindsight is 20/20 and all I can do is move forward and keep myself educated and surrounded by *positive* people. Lori

Lori at Goal  

RNY October 2004

SFCynthia
on 5/16/07 5:10 am - San Francisco, CA
I really enjoyed that article.  Great stuff.  Makes me want to go out and get everything on her list.  What an very interesting woman.  Her reasoning, and explanations were so clear, and understandable. I now take my vitamins and supplements religiously.  Daily.  And I Can feel such a difference if I let them slip just by just a couple days.  Especially my iron.  The other plus side is that everyone is sick around me at work with colds.  Not ME!  I would say I was born with addiction issues, but MAN, did I lose major control after my WLS.  I have to go to rehab several times.  I was a slave to my chemicals. By the way...you might want to look into the new medication called Chantix.  It is amazing for helping stop smoking.
Alisa H.
on 5/23/07 12:04 pm - Randallstown, MD
Boy am I glad I came back to OH today. I had WLS in December 2004. I lost one hundred pounds before I dscovered how quickly I got high after just one or two drinks. Its been steadily downhill since then,now drinking daly. To make it worse, I've gained back thirty one pounds.This is rough. I think about alcohol every day. I am so so miserable, its got to stop. I want my pounds gone and my mind clear. I am glad to know that I am not alone. I am so filled with sadness at my weight gain and loss of control. The lies and deceit are only fooling me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 789 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 773 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 997 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1707 views