Spread the News

Patricia R.
on 4/12/07 3:05 pm - Perry, MI
Given the recent articles on television and in magazines, I think it would be a great idea to let others in OH know about our wonderful Addictions Messageboard.  I copied the link to our board and posted about it on the PA board, where I am active.   The 12st Step of AA is to carry the message.  Many on OH may not be aware of addiction transfer, and/or may not know we have a great group of support people here.  Let your friends on other boards know we are here and give them the link.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

SFCynthia
on 4/16/07 5:40 am - San Francisco, CA
Trish,  I admire your enthusiasm, but This is not the way AA works.  The person has to come to us first....THEN we can help them.  It is important that we follow the 11 tradition... "Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion"  Once you have someone's attention THEN you can talk about AA. 
Patricia R.
on 4/16/07 6:31 am - Perry, MI

How can the come to us if they do not know we exist?  You miss the whole point of why I believe it is necessary to let people on the other forums know about us.  There are many people who may not be aware that OH has a forum for addictions, and may want to find out about them from other WLS patients.  AA meetings advertise their meetings in newspapers all the time on the Community Calendar pages to let people know when and where they meet.  Beside, the addiction message board on OH is not purely AA.   I work in a psychiatric hospital and there are AA and NA meetings in this hospital where people from the programs come into the hospital to hold a meeting for the patients with addictions.  To follow your logic, AA meetings should not have people come in from outside to hold meetings.  We should make them wait until they come to a meeting on the outside.   I have been in AA for 18 years, and I know the traditions very well.  I did not violate any traditions, and as I said, the OH message board is not a 12 step message board.  I was letting people know about our board.  When they get here, they can learn about 12 step recovery from those of us who choose to share it with them. 

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

SFCynthia
on 4/17/07 6:27 am - San Francisco, CA
Ok...if I see anyone who is asking questions that seems like they are looking for support  I will point them in this direction  (As I would have in the first place).   But I'm still not going to put it out there myself.  I found this group on my own, and I have faith that others will too if they need it. I was only referring to your reference of the 12th Step of AA.  " The 12st Step of AA is to carry the message". In all honesty I am not a 12-stepper.  I don't have a belief in a higher power/intelligence.  But I do have respect for the program as the people of the program helped me a great deal get on the right path of sobriety.
Patricia R.
on 4/17/07 6:34 am - Perry, MI
Do as you wish.  As an old timer in AA, it was only natural for me to be interested in finding an addictions support group when I found OH for my WLS.  For others on other boards, they may be unaware that OH has an addictions board.  I have all of my boards bookmarked on my home comptuer.  When I am at work, I have had a horrible time finding my boards when I get onto the OH main page.  I thought it was being courteous to give people the link, and let them know we exist, as in the past few weeks, the topic has been in the forefront in several magazines and on television.   I felt attacked by your first post, as if I had violated the traditions of the program.  If I misunderstood, I am sorry.
Albert Schweitzer

SFCynthia
on 4/17/07 10:35 am - San Francisco, CA
It's all good.  No attack. 
Yvonne McCarthy
on 4/20/07 9:15 pm - Plano, TX

This is my perception.  My brother who was the worst of drug/alcohol addicts AND paranoid schizophrenic has been sober for 8 years through AA.  I know the program inside and out.  I know that you are supposed to carry the message by the law of attraction.  The anonymous part is designed this way: Let's say a celebrity goes on TV and says AA is great and it works.  The next thing you know, they are back out drinking and that makes the program look good.  It is true that you must come to AA when you make the decision because you won't be "done" or ready.  When someone asks me what they can do, I tell them about AA.  If you will read my last post on my profile, it's about a lot of this. I think you guys are really saying a lot of the same thing and it's just being sort of misunderstood.  It is a wonderful program and I believe it doesn't get the credit it deserves.  I know it has saved many lives and I'd love to see an avenue for food addicts because eventually we will probably turn to something else,  I know sometimes I'm afraid to try something new!!!   hugs, Y

Open RNY 3/30/01  260lbs - 130lbs Yvonne McCarthy, CLC. Health & Wellness Coach (full time volunteer). I am happy to help if I can. Visit www.bariatricgirl.com and see the Bariatric Girl blog!  Also check out my Facebook Bariatric Girl Page Photography site www.yvonnemccarthy.com     .„ø¤º°¨ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨„ø¤º°¨ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨

Lauretta
on 4/22/07 4:04 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
I placed a message on my personal profile to check the forum out if you have any feelings about addiction or  substituting. It is subltle. Anyone would have to go to my profile to see it. laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views