I really fought hard to stop myself.

mystical_one
on 4/8/07 4:44 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada

I was keeping busy yesterday, trying not think of going out shopping.  I started a to do list to help me keep focused.  Trouble is with that to do list, everytime I take one thing off I add two more. Anyways, I get this phone call from my co-worker and it seems our other coworker, who just retired over 1 year ago, and whom I just seen two weeks ago at a meeting.  Died.  Well after wallowing in sorrow.  I had this wild notion tand said  "f##k it, you struggle, save and try to have a better life, and then you die young. He's was only 57 old.  I just wanted to go out and shop.  But then I stopped myself.  (After two hours however)  .   Anyways, I never realized how bad an addiction I had.  Yeah I think I can, I just am coming to terms with it, just didn't realize how bad it is/was.  So this month at my support meeting that I have for postops, think I will discuss addicitons.  Course I know that no one else will admit it.   Battle the demons, One Day At A time! Susanna

marieh
on 4/9/07 7:56 am - So. Easton, MA
More power to you, Susanna, and I think your topic idea is a wonderful one! I'm sure from everything we've seen from Oprah to the Today show and People magazine this is becoming a really disturbing trend. I really feel addiction transfer should be discussed in depth pre-op and post-op. :)  Good for you!! Marie

Patricia R.
on 4/9/07 10:52 am - Perry, MI
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.  The more we discuss it with others, the more awareness there is of the reality of this problem.  Good for you for wanting to be honest and keep things in front of you.  Keep up the good work. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

SFCynthia
on 4/12/07 6:19 am - San Francisco, CA
You may be surprised at how much people will speak up about it. I don't have a shopping addiction, but I am a recovering alcoholic/addict after my WLS.  I'm trying come up with words to help you.  As words did help me so much find my way out of the dark hole I was falling down. I guess that one of the things I ask myself when I am thinking of an impulse buy is how much do I really need this?  Sometimes when I am still not sure...I will walk away from the item and go work on other things and really roll the idea around in my head.  The more it costs....the more it rolls.....LOL!  And then I decide if I really need it or not.  Usually I don't need it. Material things just don't make me happy.  I just need things to keep my household moving forward.  Dishsoap, new shoes when the current ones start to wear down, and food for three teens and me.  I don't even buy books brand new.  I can always find a second hand book for 99 cents on Amazon...or anywhere...really.  And I only allow myself to have one collection.  Earrings.  And that is it. I refuse to have a credit card, and tear those applications up when they come.  All I have is my bank debit card. Anyway....keep working towards being the person you want to be....and she will be there.  And  of course you are not alone.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views