How to Deal with binge drinking

Ricanbeauty1980
on 4/1/07 9:45 am
I will be 5 years post op in august... and for the last two year i have been drinking uncontrollably.... I try and control it saying to myself just one.. then that leads to another then another... for awhile i would consume a whole bottle of bacardi in one night... doin so almost every other night.... My drinkin as affected my job, my family is scared for me.. and so am i... I just dontknow what to do... I feel like I have to drink... If im not drinkin i feel like eating.. and i dont want to eat alot worried i may gain my weight back... I rather be drunk then to eat alot... Can anyone relate... Ive noticed that im able to eat normal now... and it scared the **** out of me..I dont wanna be where i was.. But i dont wanna make my self worse with the drinking.....My life seems so out of control...
Patricia R.
on 4/1/07 9:59 pm - Perry, MI

I understand that out of control feeling.  I strongly encourage you to seek professional help in stopping, as detox can be scary and dangerous.  See your doctor or go to a rehab or hospital and get help.  There you can stop and get help for it.   Drinking, like eating, is often because of not wanting to deal with feelings and life on life's terms.  Once I got sober, I had to learn alternatives to drinking, and to deal with life.  I learned how to do that in therapy and Alcoholics Anonymous.  I would urge you to consider both.   Hang in there.  Many have been where you are now, and are now living free of alcohol.  You can do it too. Hugs, Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

NeedHelp
on 4/2/07 6:48 am - Rockford, IL
I sense alot of anxiety in your post.  I suggest going to your doctor and discussing your anxiey with him/her.  In my case, if I can keep my anxiety under control, I don't have any desire to drink. Also, if you can, discuss your drinking with him/her, too. I think she can give you meds to help you not want to drink.  Other than the anxiety piece, though, I can't really comment.  Just know you are among friends here. KimM.
Ricanbeauty1980
on 4/2/07 2:26 pm
Thank  you both for you advise... I'm really glad I found this forum. Because it hard to talk about this. I have a bestfriend that knows all ive been through, but she doesnt really understand why I have become like this... And it doesnt really help that she may as well have a drinking problem... But i have been trying to look for professional help.. I have tryed looking through my insurance coverage. Cant seem to find a therapist.. but I am going to keep looking... Thanks again..
SFCynthia
on 4/5/07 2:08 am - San Francisco, CA
Hi, I am so glad I found this little corner of the WLS world.  I had my DS in October 2001.  About 7 months post op I started drinking wine to deal with the multiple stress factors in my life.  Two young children, an verbally abusive and over-bearing Mother, a cheating boyfriend (and father of my children), and a new manager who was out to completely remove all the old employees in the department and move in all her friends.  And I was the HR person so I had to follow her orders.  Made me sick. So I started drinking wine to deal with all the stress.  By a year or more later I was battling full Out-of-control drinking and drugging.  And Bacardi was my drink of choice also. And I didn't stop until I was passed out.  And then I would wake up and start again. Just one drink...and I was unable to stop.  So I finally had to stop drinking all together.  And I love, LOVE, love being clean and sober now.  And if I can do it....ANYONE can do it. I went to 2 different 28 day in-patient programs.  I also had to go the ER many times to get medically supervised detox.  Now being a weight loss surgery patient...this is where things get a little tricky.  The insurance companies base your getting a medically supervised detox on your blood pressure.  Because when you drink your blood pressure goes up.  Well, being a weight loss person, my blood pressure would go down really fast.  Really before I had finished detoxing.  But the doctors and nurses would have to stop giving me Ativan because my BP was now at a normal number.  A real catch-22. In the end....going through this hell turned out the be the best thing for me in my life.  I had had a very dysfunctional childhood.  And I had learned to cope with it by running away from my pain.  Finally with many kind people I was slowly, but surely able to turn my life around. I am also not a religious person.  I have no Higher Power/intelligence belief so I had to deal with the conflict of my personal beliefs and a 12-step program.  I am very grateful to the 12-step programs because it is full of people just like you and me.  I love the people.  And I listened to every word I could hear.  They are recovery people.  They care about your heart.  And they push love and forgiveness.  For we do horrible things under the influence. I also read many books...like "The Self-Esteem Workbook".  I think that was one of the best things I did for myself.  I also sought out therapy, and both in-patient and out-patient programs.  I never gave up on me!  And once I had been clean for a while...we realized that I was using alcohol and drugs as a way to self-medicate myself.  So now I take a very low dose of anti-anxiety medication.  I don't suffer from depression, but I do suffer from anxiety. I wish you all the best, and if you want to write more to me...feel free.  I have been where you are.  And I've done and heard it all.  I can help if you want. I love being free!  And so much happier and healthier then I have ever been in my life.
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 4/2/07 6:56 pm - East Burbs, MN
Healing hugs to you..  I agree with what the other gals have said and just wanted to send you hugs..

Dana      

nnnujersey b
on 4/11/07 6:06 am - toms river, NJ
Hello Everybody! I'm new to this board I was lurking and came upon this interesting post.I have a question for Cynthia would you consider yourself an uncontrollable drinker before wls? The reason I'm asking is because my surgery date is May 1st and I dont know if I can stop drinking on my own post-op.
Ricanbeauty1980
on 6/15/07 5:43 am
I know this wasnt directed to me, but I found after surgery but for me it was a year after that I really picked up the drinking....

wiredidiot
on 5/9/07 11:22 pm - Akron, OH
We drink to deal with the mental "uneasiness".  To calm the brain. Why is our brain not at peace after gastric bypass? PLEASE read this:
http://www.geocities.com/lisanelson_2/
Ricanbeauty1980
on 6/15/07 6:28 am
The article was very interesting, thank you for posting it...

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views