I am new to this forum

HealthyLifestyles
on 3/21/07 1:01 am - Cheyenne, WY
I have been lurking for awhile and decided to put myself out there and say hello. I am one of those addicts who transfer addictions. I didn't really realize this about myself until after having WLS. In fact, I did not even know you could be addicted to food until after having WLS. I am a recovering meth addict (10 years), marijuama (3 years), alcohol (8 months) and today I still struggle with food. However, I am doing pretty good even with that. I hope to learn things from other addicts and maybe even share my recovery with others.  I am grateful that I had WLS for the sole purpose that it forced me to face my problems and helped me to realize that I am an addict and will always have those tendencies. I have learned how to deal with my problems in such a way that is not so destructive. The last 6 years of my life have been extremely difficult and now I am looking to give back to others and to heal myself as well. So hi and I hope to be around much more now that I have decided not to be a lurker anymore! Godspeed Dawn
marieh
on 3/21/07 10:35 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Dawn, Welcome!! I love this board and read it daily.  (I don't post every day, but I DO read it)! Congratulations for being so strong and together! I'm in my 21st year of sobriety now and am finding all about transfer addiction. I've transferred to shopping, eating, baking and then eating...and now I face WLS to try and avoid another few heart attacks. We do what we have to do to every day. Now, those days do NOT include indiscriminate shopping or eating a path through Richmond. I too, will always be an addict, but at least now I can make it through life without a crutch. More power to you for the last six and getting through them! :) I'm proud of you!! Marie

NeedHelp
on 3/21/07 9:41 pm - Rockford, IL
Hey Dawn, thanks for posting.  It is hard to put ourselves out there for fear of people being judgemental, but this is the most awesome forum.  Everyone here is so REAL!  I love it.  We all have addictions and many of us suffer from addiction transfer.  For me, it is still food, went to wine and my shopping has wrecked havic on my finances. The food is still out of control even after WLS.  I constantly make poor choices. The wine is something that needs constant monitoring so it doesn't become an issue- that would happen so easily,  and the shopping is well.......UGH!   Well, welcome and you will find loving, kind, compassionate people here.  Welcome Aboard! Kim M.
Lauretta
on 3/21/07 11:28 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Welcome! Many kindrid souls here. I constantly have to check myself because I can turn anything into addictive behavior. I get all fixated on crazy stuff! I had to go to a meeting last night to tell on my disease because I lost some paper work and could not get over it even after I was able to replace it. My disease wants me miserable. I somehow started that self destructive thinking and feelings of worthlessness. Mountains out of molehills? Today I find sheading some light on it helps. If I keep it my ugly secret it gets worse. Glad you are here! Laurie
Amber B.
on 3/22/07 12:11 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey Dawn, welcome! It's a great place to be. Lots of recovery and lots of people trying to get/stay well. You'll fit right in, Amber

~Amber
Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed.

Patricia R.
on 3/23/07 2:04 pm - Perry, MI
Hi and Welcome, I can relate to the transfer addiction stuff.  When I started therapy 18 years ago, I was confronted with both my food and alcohol addictions.  I thank God I found Overeaters Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous at the same time.  I currently have five years sober, which I thank God for. I thank God that I found WLS, because it gave me hope of life without the food addiction being in control, for now. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

SFCynthia
on 4/6/07 1:22 am - San Francisco, CA
Hi Dawn, I just found this little section yesterday.  And I love that I did.  It is great to find a group of people who are not afraid to say it like it is..."I'm an addict".  I have no more fears in admitting this.  And now I can move forward. Cynthia
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views