Pill/ helping you sober up

CuteDonna
on 3/17/07 3:54 am - Effort, PA
I have been reading a lot of stories about people having addiction problems to Alcohol. I myself started drinking inplace of eating, scared of getting fat I guess.  I ended up trying to go cold turkey and stop drinking and had two grand mal seizures which are not pretty. That was my wake up call but getting off the stuff was not easy. My PCP put me on Ativan can be called Lorazepam and within half and hour I was feeling like myself again. No shaking, aching body, upset stomach and feeling run down. I can only take this drug for so long as you can become depend on it also but if it gets me over the hump then I'm happy. I have been reading up on a few other drugs they use to help people get through the first phases of withdrawl. Naltrexone, Campral and Zofran.  Donna
Patricia R.
on 3/17/07 8:03 am - Perry, MI
Hi Donna, If you were to go to a detox to get off the alcohol, they would have used drugs to help you get off without the seizures as well.  Naltrexone is used to help alcoholics deal with the cravings.  I was on it for my binge eating disorder when I was in outpatient treatment.  It helps with the binge urges as well.   Have you tried attending an AA meetings?  That is where I learned to live life sober, without alcohol.  It helped me change my thinking and gave me alternatives to drinking.  It also is a great source of moral and social support.   Good to see you post. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

CuteDonna
on 3/17/07 10:35 am - Effort, PA
Your right about I should have went to detox but what happened is that I wa****ting bottom at th time and knew it was getting worse when I was hearing  music and voices in my head at night and nobody was there but I had already made this trip as my Aunt is dying from cancern and could not get out of it so I told myself I would go cold turkey then when I get back I'll talk to my husband. I don't think I would feel comfortable in a large AA meeting. Maybe one on one counseling could work better with me. I think I can get over this myself. My problem is that I think I let every little thing get on my nerves. I'm on the pills and don't have the car keys they said I don't need to drive until I get to the root of the seizures and they are right. I want to also get a job as that might help me. Thanks for listening and being here for me. Hugs Donna
Patricia R.
on 3/17/07 11:19 am - Perry, MI
I am all in favor of individual psychotherapy, so much so, I have been in therapy for 18 years and became a therapist last year after graduate school.  I can warn you that a good therapist will suggest attending a support group of some type, whether it is AA or Women for Sobriety.  There are small AA meetings.  Not all are big.  I tend to avoid the larger meetings myself.  There are also women only AA meetings as well.  I like them, and get to them when I can.  You may want to look into a therapist that specializes in addictions, or even outpatient rehab if it is available where you are.   As long as you are safe at this time, that is the most important thing.  Stay safe and keep in touch. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

CuteDonna
on 3/17/07 8:28 pm - Effort, PA
That's interesting to know that you became a therapist. Good for you. I'll see how it goes and what the Doctor says. I need to find a job and get out of this house but maybe I need to wait until I see this Doctor about my siezures.  Fear is, what's going to happen when the pills run out. I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing.  Donna
Patricia R.
on 3/18/07 11:29 am - Perry, MI
Talk to your doctor about tapering off of them.   In the meantime, start learning some self-soothing skills, like deep breathing exercises, to help you relax naturally.  Also, there are other ways to self-soothe, like meditation, journaling, making phone calls to supportive friends, exercise, soft music ( I like classical), a cup of tea and sitting in candle light.  These are just a few of my self-soothing techniques. Hugs, Trish
Albert Schweitzer

CuteDonna
on 3/21/07 6:13 am - Effort, PA
Thanks Trish for the ideas. I found a web site that is giving me lots of support.  http://www.sobercircle.com/   Some of the people on this site told me they find other outlets to keep them busy. Like going golfing, taking up knitting and even walking the mall when the feeling hits them of wanting a drink.  Donna
BeeBee1
on 3/21/07 5:28 am
Hi Donna, I know you are scared and fearful.  I felt the same way as you do.  I was having blackouts everyday and was a total mess.  I hit bottom so hard, my teeth chattered!  I was so scared.  I went on-line and found a local AA meeting and forced myself to attend.  Oh my God! Was I ever SHOCKED!  The program was NOTHING like I thought it was going to be and the people there were just like me!  They came into the rooms of AA just as scared, lonely and not wanting to share anything!  And you don't have to.  Just listen.  They will know that that is all you can do.  It will truely be the best thing you could ever do for yourself.  I have never met such a wonderful group of understanding people in my life.  They are saving my life.  I have only been attending since Dec and I had one relapse but they continued to support me.   I pray you find your way.  Too many people are afraid to seek help.  Little do they know how much easier it is going through it with other alcoholic/drug addicts. Huglets, BeeBee
CuteDonna
on 3/21/07 6:09 am - Effort, PA
Thanks for the support,  I'm getting there slowly. I go see the Neurologist tomorrow and I'll see what he has to say but I found myself opening the yellow pages to AA in my area today and wrote the number down so I think I'm pushing myself in the right direction. Baby steps as I call them. My sister is so much support for me but she is so far away. My best friend across the street I thought would give me support but she told me NO, pout. Donna
CuteDonna
on 3/21/07 6:26 am - Effort, PA
Where is Women for Sobriety located? Thanks Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety