does drinking stop your weight loss

natalie1975
on 3/9/07 6:50 am - Yardley, PA
o.k. i'm about 2.5 months post op, 31y.o. about 5'4 tall down to 170lbs. (size 10-12)from my highest weight of 225. As of a couple of days ago, when i had a few glasses of wine too many for a couple fo days in a row, i've been kind of worries about the calories.  could i have stretched my pouch am i o.k. as long as i don't overdo it again?
Curious G.
on 3/9/07 7:47 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Hey there :-) Liquids do not stretch the pouch, so that particular worry is moot. Yep - alcohol does indeed have lots of calories, so that is a valid worry. For myself personally, I developed alcoholic patterns of drinking.  Once this happened, I didn't eat much at all.  Either I was concerned about it ruining my buzz by eating, or when I did eat after drinking, I would vomit.  So, for me personally, it did not at all affect my loss.  In fact, I got way toooo skinny and had to put some weight back on once I got sober.  I have girlfriends however, who gained or stalled until they stopped drinking - then they lost a bit of weight. The more important worry (and I am not trying to frighten you), is what continued over-indulgence can do to us post WLS.  I ended up with three ulcers in my pouch - NOT fun.  Due to the surgery, my tolerance was much lower than before, and therefore, nearly every time I drank, I did so way past my tolerance level.  Studies have been done that suggest one of the magic "tipping points" into alcoholism is continued consumption past our tolerance level.  I climbed aboard the assclown express and became conductor in that arena. So to answer your question, yeah, you're fine as long as you don't overdo it again.  But with all honesty and respect, you're asking the wrong questions.   Just be careful - it's a jungle out there! love, Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views