FOOD ADDICT

shoegirl1023
on 3/2/07 9:04 am - Solon, OH
I am 14 months post op, feel gr8, lost 110lb and wear size 4 - 6. But, I will always be a food addict, I know I am not cured by any means and never will be. I all myself an obese person in a skinny body. I never forget where I came from nor will I. That's what keeps me going. I have a 14 year old daughter who had has a very hard time with all my physical changes, and although I know she is happy for me, at the same time she can't deal with all the attention I've had from many people, especially her friends. I found out recently, that she has been purging, I even had her assessed at an eating disorders facility, but she's not far enough to be admitted, and I don't think she'd doing it that often. She does talk to someone about it so that's a plus. Is there anyone out there who has had a problem with their teenage daughter since their surgery, in the way of her not taking your attention too well? When we are out together and I see someone I haven't seen in a while and get the "omg, u look amazing" I feel so bad for her. I hate to see her hurting. I have no regrets for having this done as I know and hope that it has lengthened my life. I hope to get some feedback and advice on this from someone out there. Thanks and sorry it was such a long post.

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

Patricia R.
on 3/3/07 7:47 am - Perry, MI
I don't have any teenagers, so I can't answer your question directly.  However, I have been in outpatient treatment for eating disorders, and can tell you that it helped me a great deal.  If an eating disorder treatment facility won't take your daughter, there is the option of individual psychotherapy for her.  It could include some family therapy from time to time to allow your daughter to learn to express herself to you in healthy ways, rather than purging. Good luck. Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

shoegirl1023
on 3/3/07 12:34 pm - Solon, OH
Thanks for ur reply. Fortunately, my daughter has been in psychotherapy for a while now and has a gr8 therapist who she is very comfortable with, but I know these things take time, as I still consider myself a food addict, so who knows how long it may take, and that's if she ever finds the right comfort level with herself.  It's just so hard watching her have the same feelings I had about myself for many years. She isn't even obese, far from it, she has gained a few pounds, but has a gr8 little body that I would have died for at her age. There is far too much peer pressure out there these days with all these little skinny idiot celebraties. Anyway, thanks again for ur support.

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

Loril
on 3/3/07 10:32 am - Hopkins, MN
This is a tough topic for me, I wanted this to bypass my kids.  My 12 year old told me tonight she is eating away the pain.  Her words.  I have never shared my food woes.  NO NOT EVEN IN ACTION- I have made a point of this before WLS...  My mother was/maystillbe (76yoa) a bulimic...My brother and his daughter are still struggling. I would rather be a drug addict or an alcoholic.  I swear.  There is less shame and more awareness job-wise and family wise.  And treatment-wise.  I DONT KNOW. BTW I feel great too.  I look great.  I hope it's a big enough trade-off, cuz I was awesome before, too.  Don't let others define "happy".   Only you know when you're there.  AND only you know when you're not.  GB  LoriWindows Media

Lori at Goal  

RNY October 2004

NeedHelp
on 3/6/07 11:35 pm - Rockford, IL
Joanne, one of my 12 year old twins has body image struggles that has just come up this year.  She is perfectly fit, healthy, gorgeous but struggles with Irritable Bowel Syndrome because of stress and eating. I wish this world didn't put such importance on appearance. Being healthy should be the goal.  Me, I am a food addict and know that I will always be one.  I see myself falling back into bad habits even after losing so much weight and feeling and looking so much better. I don't know that is me or my surgury that effected her as much as the world's pressure on appearance. That is my thought on it. Don't blame yourself. Kim M.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views