Bad Night: But a Sober One!

cincinnati_red
on 2/17/07 12:19 am - Central Coast, CA
Hi, All - just a quick note to say I found a great AA meeting last night.  I just can't beleive the kindness and welcome that I felt in the room.  There were about 30 people there, ranging from age 20 to 79.   One other lady my age has had gastric bypass, so it helped me to talk about it. However, had a rough night.  I was pacing, sweating and shaking all night.  But, it's been 24 hours since my last drink.  My first sober/non-hung-over morning in awhile.  My bad night did help my husband to realize how serious the situation was.  He had been very angry with me for insisting on making "bad choices" (which I WAS), but he didn't realize the dependency factor.  Last night really opened his eyes (and mine) to just how out-of-control my situation had become.  He is now much more supportive and less resentful. I am visiting my doctor today to get some help.  I have read that there are medications to help with withdrawal.  Do any of you have experience with these?  I read from the AMA that Valium was indicated for this use, and that it is effective.  However, I sure don't want to get addicted to this!  Any insight from anyone would be great. Thanks, - Lisa
Patricia R.
on 2/17/07 12:34 pm - Perry, MI
I would be extremely careful about taking Valium, as it is addictive, and could just be another transfer addiction.  If you have serious withdrawal, you may want to detox in a hospital for a few days.  Hopefully, your doctor has taken care of you by now. Keep going to meetings.  Drink a lot of water.  E-mail me if you like.  [email protected] Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

cincinnati_red
on 2/18/07 6:37 am - Central Coast, CA
Hi, Patricia - I appreciate the caution.  My doctor has only given me enough for 4 nights.  I figure, if those don't at least get me over the shaking at night, I will be forced to go to rehab.  I hate the thought of scaring the kids, though, or missing work.  We have no family in this area - I can't leave the kids unless it's dire.   So, I will try this first.  They are 2.5 mgs each, which I understand is a very low dosage.  Wish me luck!  And, I am already looking foreward to my next AA meeting.  I suspect that "skipping = crashing."  Thanks, - Lisa
Gail T.
on 2/18/07 1:48 pm - Naples, FL
Hi Lisa.... congrats on making it through the worst day.  Now I'm sure the Valium (sp) will get you through the first nights of detox.... but ckeck with your doctor regarding a new drug called Campral. Better yet look it up online to get the full scoop.  It has helped me out tremendously and I am two and a half weeks out.  The medicine softens the urgency feelings you have towards alcohol. Here I looked up the website for you http://www.campral.com/home.aspx Good luck and read my posting on here to get the "scoop" on me.... during this time... do alot of listening and reading (specially the "the Big Book of AA) I don't know what kind of relationship you have with God.... but now would be a great time to heighten that relationship.  Every morning I ask God for help for one more day of sobriety and at night I thank him!!! It seems to work out alot easier for me when I ask for his help.

Soon To Be Melted away!! 

www.Bigoo.ws www.Bigoo.ws www.Bigoo.ws www.Bigoo.ws    www.Bigoo.ws 

Amber B.
on 2/18/07 11:06 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Congrats on your first night. That is one of the greatest feelings knowing that I don' t have to be hung-over ever again, if I choose to. Like the others, I'd watch the Valium, we tend to trade one addiction for the other. Glad you found a good meeting to go to, I love AA, without it I would be lost. You just keep coming back, you have no idea how much you are helping others already! Happy Monday, Amber

~Amber
Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed.

RHONDA FROM KY
on 2/19/07 8:01 am, edited 2/19/07 8:11 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hi Lisa.. so happy that you are taking the steps towards sobriety.  I know it's difficult and scary.. but you can do it.  First you MUST get the alcohol chemical out of your body.. that may take a few days and inpatient detox would be wonderful for you.   But if you don't see that as an option, keep posting here when the urge**** or call a freind (hopefully you were able to get numbers at the AA meeting you went to).. or take a shower.. read profiles for insiration.. or get to an AA meeting.   Do whatever it takes to overcome that urge until your system is cleaned out.  And I would recommend the Campral as previously posted.  That is what was prescribed to my boyfriend.. and it helps.  He visited a doctor regarding his use of alcohol and the doctor wanted him inpatient just to seperate him from the bottle.. and the actual NEED of having it in his system do his dependency on it.  I am able to keep my addiction in check by supporting him and by both of us attending AA.  Hopefully you can do this at home with your husband's help.. but if that hidden urge overcomes you, please reconsider Rehab.  You must do this for YOU.. your kids will benefit more later when you obtain sobriety.   Please feel free to read my profile.. I mention my road to recovery in it! Hugs, Rhonda
Michelle W.
on 2/20/07 4:36 am - Olmsted Falls, OH
 Stay away from valium. There is a saying in the program, " A drug is a drug is a drug is a drug". I went cold turkey when I stopped abusing cocaine, pills, whatever it was at the time.True clarity only comes from true sobriety.Anyone who tells you different is living a lie.Even some doctors will try to convince you to use something to help your withdrawals, don't !!! You will make it.Strength and faith will see you through.If you screw up, just get up and try again.Don't let a mistake destroy you.It is sometimes the relapses that help us realize how sick our disease can make us.Stay strong, and know you are not alone.
Donna R.
on 2/22/07 2:20 am - MI
Hi, my names Donna and I'm an alcoholic and addict,  congrats on your first 24 hours! I have 16 years in the program and 26 clean. Pretty clear I wouldn't have made it on my own :>)   Many years after first coming into the program I went back to school and got my MSW in chem dep/mental illness, so coming from both sides can sometimes help. As far as withdrawl symptoms, a lot depends on what you were using, how long, how much etc . While getting sober and detoxed is the first step to the rest of the work, nothing in AA precludes you from using the medical help available to get thru the DT's.  Bill W  did :>) Unlike lots of other drugs, alcohol withdrawls can actually be very dangerous. Don't be afraid to work with your dr to use what is available to get through them. If you are able to be really open and your dr has any knowledge of addiction, they'll be able to monitor your intake and detoxing. I think you said you only had 4 days worth, and 2.5 mg is a very small dose, so ot really sounds like a reasoonable plan.  Good luck, I'm so grateful your found your way to the program :>) While it certainly may not always feel like it, and for sure sometimes not in the next days and weeks, everything is changes for the better.   Write anytime, Donna
(deactivated member)
on 3/5/07 3:29 am - Raleigh, NC
Hi Lisa, My doctor prescriped me Topamax and it helped. http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20040815/seizure-dru g-may-help-kick-alcohol-addiction I am 3 years out and have just learned the extent of the problem this problem in the gastric bypass community.  I finally woke up and realized that I had a problem and when I started researching the link, I was shocked...and didn't feel so alone.  - Runnergirl
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views