Migraines Post-Op

NeedHelp
on 2/13/07 11:10 pm - Rockford, IL
Anyone get migraines?  I had one 24 years ago and only now have been getting multiple ones at around 5-9 months post-op RNY. Do you think there is a connection between WLS and Migraines. My Dr. prescribed Imitrex which helps some but doesn't totally eliminate the pain.  What do you do?  I am desperate and I hate going to the Dr. My husband will go with me when I am really afraid. Any input is greatly appreciated. Kim M.
Patricia R.
on 2/14/07 2:51 am - Perry, MI
Hi Kim I think you posted on the PA board too.  I don't suffer from migraines, but have been told by family members how difficult they can be.  I would suggest learning some relaxation techniques and practicing them daily.  Deep breathing, maybe yoga, meditation, done on a daily basis could help you ward off some of them.  Just a thought. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

NeedHelp
on 2/14/07 3:21 am - Rockford, IL
Trish, yes I did post on several forums as I am desperate for ideas.  You know I do have several yoga tapes, maybe it is time to pull them out and give them a try.  I do have a lot of stress in my life right now. Sometimes I don't even see things as stressful, but when I really look at them- Wow it does all add up. I just try not to focus on the problems and keep my eyes on God because once I start looking at all the problems indvidulally, it is too much. Also, I don''t know anything about deep breathing exercises, but I am willing to learn.  Thanks for your really informative post. Hugs back, Kim M.
Patricia R.
on 2/14/07 10:58 am - Perry, MI
My therapist taught me to do the deep breathing exercises.  You sit in an upright position, with your hand on your belly.  Breath in slowly through your nose, to a count of 6.  Your hand on your belly should rise.  Breath out through your mouth, like you are blowing out a candle, to a count of six, slowly.  Do that for at least a minute, 3-4 times a day.  It is very helpful in relaxing the body.  It gets oxygen into the bloodstream.   Research shows that we do not do deep breathing, and when we are tense, we tend to hold our breath instead of breathing.  Deep breathing helps get more oxygen into the body, and relaxes the body.  Doing it regularly helps ward off stress, and then doing it in stressful situations helps as well.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

NeedHelp
on 3/6/07 11:07 pm - Rockford, IL
Trish, I just want you to know that the breathing exercises you told me about are helpful.  I even was suggesting them to my husband this morning who when he was stressing out.  Thanks, Kim M.
debrat262
on 3/6/07 1:10 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Have you had a complete blood panel done?  Since you didn't suffer from migraines before, it sounds to me like you need a mineral like iron or something.  I suffered with severe migraines after blood loss during surgery, which was improved after a transfusion. I have suffered from migraines for years and have several triggers that I try to avoid; things like refined sugars, going too long between meals (low blood sugar), ect.  If your migraine trigger is not mineral related, perhaps you've changed your eating behavior since surgery. I use Imitrex as needed, but I hear Topamax works well as a preventative medication.

Lapband 5/21/04; Eroded Band Removed 11/18/06; VSG 1/06/07

NeedHelp
on 3/6/07 11:17 pm - Rockford, IL
Thanks for the help.  I don't eat sugar, and my eating habits have changed since wls. I may be going to long between meals. I use Imitrex and the dr. suggested Topamax, but I am scared to try it for fear of side effects. Kim M.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views