a little about my addiction and my surgery situation...

chadbuckler
on 1/27/07 10:43 am - Huntingtown, MD
Hi all, This is going to be a long account of what I've gone through with addiction and trying to get my WLS. Read or not, it's a good little story in my opinion. I have a long history with painkillers. I started out with "innocent" stuff like Tylenol 3 and 4, then I started stealing Oxycontins from my Dad (who never took them, but got a bunch when they first got big in being prescribed about 7 years ago). I then got injured at work and started being prescribed Lortab for chronic back pain, which I still have that radiates down my legs and knees. It's excruciating at times and I can hardly walk being 475lbs on top of things. Well, the Lortab didn't last the whole month as he prescribed it to and the next thing I know, I'm on the internet searching for sites that prescribe painkillers. Well, I found sites, plenty of sites, sites that worked and worked. I've spent thousands of dollars over the years buying Lortab and Norco online. Until recently, when I got on a Methadone program in D.C. 85mg a day of Methadone has actually helped me get my life back. I now have money in my pocket, I'm not constantly searching for my next bottle of pills etc.. I've been wanting to get this WLS for about 3-4 years now. I've been denied 2 times prior over the past 3-4 years, gone to countless appointments (you all know the schpiel) and driven hundreds of miles to doctor after doctor only to be denied again and again. Sucks. This made my addiction and pain worse. At the time of my initial consult with Dr. Harrington, I wasn't on Methadone maintenance, but I did inform them that I take Lortab. A few weeks ago, I was FINALLY approved for surgery and Dr. Harrington's nurse gave me a date and everything. Well, a week before, I was supposed to go to pre-op testing and then get an IVC filter and prepare for the big day. I told the nurse on the phone the day before my testing, "I just wanted to let you guys know one thing, I'm on Methadone." She said "For pain or for addiction?" I said, "well, both I guess, because I've had problems with pain and addiction and the Methadone helps both." She said, "uh oh, we may have to lower your dosage first, let me ask dr. Harrington and call you back". She called back about an hour later and was like "Chad, we are going to cancel your surgery, you have to be healthy before your surgery and being on Methadone isn't considered healthy." Let me tell you, I was driving (well, trying to drive at this point) and literally broke down and started crying. This wasn't real to me, unbelievable that this lady was saying these things to me. I said "well, I'll quit right now, no more Methadone, I can't miss this surgery and I don't want my approval to be taken away, is there ANYTHING I can do to change your mind?" and she was basically like "nope, sorry, have a good day." Maybe she is right, maybe I am not "healthy". But the people at the Methadone clinic consider otherwise. I told them what happened and they couldn't believe it. Methadone is a medication, not a street drug like heroin. My Doctor at the clinic stated "you wouldn't take away insulin from a diabetic, you wouldn't tell a cancer patient he can't have his chemotherapy, so why would you tell a drug addict he can't have his methadone?" So, I waited until Wednesday of the next week to see Dr. Harrington in person. When I got there I waited for two hours and finally got to see the nurse first. My Dad went with me and we explained to her that I NEEDED this surgery, I have no life, nothing, I need it. I'm unhealthy and have a child to think about. We all know what it's like being obese on this site, so i won't say anymore. She finally came around to seeing my point a little and stated that my surgery was probably postponed, not canceled. So the doctor walked in and asked me a bunch of medical history questions and was like "ok, get the IVC filter asap, we're going forward with this." I was instantly relieved, Dr. Harrington had saved my life (I hope) right then and there. Now this Tuesday I go for my surgery. I pray to God I get through it ok. Thing is, I was trying so hard to get my surgery date back, I forgot to ask him all teh questions I had for him. I still can't get a hold of him. ugh.. So this goes to show, don't give up, don't take "no" for an answer, be determined and be professional about things. Things will come through for you. Don't give up ! I haven't had my methadone in a few days, I just want to be safe before I go under anesthesia. I will still let the Doctors know what I've been taking, though. Wish me luck.
Patricia R.
on 1/27/07 11:09 am - Perry, MI
Hi Chad, If you do not believe in a Higher Power, might be a good time to start, because I believe God was at work in getting you your surgery. Be safe. You will do fine. Good luck. I will be praying for you. Hugs, Trish
chadbuckler
on 1/28/07 1:31 am - Huntingtown, MD
Patricia, I do in fact believe in God, I really do. I've been praying for God to keep me and everyone else who's getting their surgeries safe and for everyone to have a speedy recovery. I DO hope this is going to be a safe, life changing event for me and everyone else. I pray that my surgeon's hands are steady and careful and I pray that I have a relatively pain free recovery. Thank you so much for the prayer's, I will keep you in mine as well. Chad
Lauretta
on 1/29/07 2:18 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Thanks for sharing your story and congrats! I wish you the very best with your surgery. It has changed my life in so many ways. I did not have a lot of pain issues after the first 24 hours. Nearing 3 yr post op and still SLOWLY losing weight. Half my former self literally. Laurie
RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/28/07 11:01 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Thanks for sharing Chad.. it's awesome that you are able to have your surgery. And so true that NO ONE should ever give up... always keep fighting for what we ultimately want in life.. which is HAPPINESS and the right to have it. best wishes to you and you will be in my thoughts and prayers
marieh
on 1/29/07 8:13 pm - So. Easton, MA
Chad, Best of luck with your surgery!! I'm glad you've been able to get your date and move forward. Good call being honest with your docs, (and yourself),and I'm glad this is working out for you!! Marie
NeedHelp
on 1/29/07 11:03 pm - Rockford, IL
Chad, Thanks for sharing your story with us. I am so proud of you for your continued persaverance and honesty. I am so happy you will get the surgery! You are right, God has blessed you and will continue to bless you. Kim M.
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 1/31/07 5:58 pm - East Burbs, MN
Hey Chad~ Thanks for sharing your story.. By this time you should be on the Losers bench! I hope everything is going well with your recovery! Dana~
Curious G.
on 2/1/07 4:06 am - Peachtree City, GA
Hi Chad! Hurrah for your acceptance!!! Make sure you stay in VERY close touch with your clinic doctors and keep regular psychotherapy appointments after surgery. This surgery is a GODSEND (had mine in 04 and lost and KEPT OFF over 150 lbs), but it really screwed with my head! I was not at all prepared for all the psychological changes! I think you're doing great, addressing your addiction, standing up for yourself and focusing on your health! Keep it up! I wish you a safe surgery, speedy recovery and please keep coming back to encourage others! Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views