TRADING ADDICTIONS

Kevin Sirman
on 1/24/07 8:24 am - Bear, DE
I FEEL THE NEED TO POST THIS AGAIN! RE: When You Trade One Addiction for Another This is a real problem.....at least it has been for me.....I had surgery 8/05 and sometime thereafter lost my job due to corporate downsizing. I went into deep depression and during that time started spending money......foolishly without regard to anything...went through a divorce without hardly blinking an eye....my spending addiction is now being investigated as a crime..I am still depressed.....don't know where my life is headed.......not sure if I will get time or just what.......I really think more needs to be done upfront on counseling and discussing trading addictions. This is a huge problem. Any suggestions.....!
alsoto
on 1/24/07 11:09 pm - Lincoln, CA
Dear Kevin: My heart goes out to you because I know what it means to switch addictions. I stopped drinking 23 years ago and started eating. I do know that several things have truly worked for me: 1. First, get some kind of accountability group that will help you to be honest with yourself and others. Narcissim is one of the things addicts always seem to resort to. 2. Work the program. Humility and submission is the pathway to wholeness. 3. Understand that there is a "Higher Power" who one must surrender to in order to gain management back into their lives. Please ungerstand that these are only recommendations from a heart that cares. Your friend on the Journey, Al [email protected]
Lauretta
on 1/24/07 11:14 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Spending is a huge area of concern for me so I feel your pain. You need professional help both legally it sounds like and pychologically. Getting prof. help for your spending would perhaps help you legally as well. Look up community sliding scale agencies since you are out of work.fees based on income. Even after almost 3 years of working on my addictions over spending can still get me! I wish you luck. laurie
Patricia R.
on 1/25/07 7:51 am - Perry, MI
I have done a lot of trading addictions, prior to my surgery. My goal now is to not pick up any old addictions, and keep everything else at bay. As far as spending is concerned, after my divorce I got sober and wracked up $60,000 in credit card debt. I am now paying that off. It sucks big time. Find a program and work it. Hugs, Trish
Peacejoy
on 1/26/07 12:07 am - Huntington, AR
I"m am so glad and grateful, I found this board!! I"m addicted to smoking now and almost have become addicted to alcohol. I never faced up to my food addiction and the reasons that I overate compulsively. I've lost 146 pounds and it's very difficult to deal with the new person that I"m becoming. But, I want to be addiction free, I'd love any suggestions, please feel free to e-mail me anytime to talk, [email protected] Kelsie
Lauretta
on 1/29/07 2:24 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
I would encourage you to seek some support group. I attend NA but there are many options. You need to work on the feelings and emotions that drive you to seek comfort outside yourself. Abusing substances is just a way to seek comfort but in the end it does not work forever... Laurie I smoke too.
marieh
on 1/29/07 7:52 pm - So. Easton, MA
I totally agree with y ou Kevin. I quit drinking 21 yrs ago and stopped smoking 20 yrs. ago. Because I finally realized I was transferring addictions, I see a counsellor once a week to discuss what my food triggers are. I am an emotional eater and don't want to get sick post-op because I can't get a handle on this addiction. I agree that there is not enough counselling pre=op, and it's going to be evident in short order that much more is needed post-op. I too, spend more than I should, and the best thing is a group. There are so many out there, and those of us who are born addicts can make anything into an addiction. I'm an overeater, rabid shopper, ex drinker, ex smoker and every day I struggle to stay afloat. I know I will never consciously smoke or drink, but the non-life threatening addictions can overtake you and be just as deadly. I agree with the other posters on this thread. Find a group, and I sincerely hope you're at rock bottom on this and can find an answer. Lean on your higher power and best of luck! Marie
kevin moran
on 2/1/07 1:15 pm - stockton, CA
Kev- You got some healthy "GOOD COP" responses.... So I will assume the role of "BAD COP"... All the counseling pre &/ or post-op cannot help an addict who does not seek help. I had to hit bottom.. before I got honest enough w/ myself... to seek real honest recovery... My suggestion is stop the "blame game"... take responsibility for where you put yourself... and reach-out for the help which right around the corner.. and it is free ! The main reason I say this is because... it takes one to know one and I am one also... From one kevin to another.... I'll be sending positive vibes your way
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views