I need some help

jen99
on 1/17/07 10:47 am
Hello... I am 4yrs postop and have been going through crisis after crisis lately, and I have realized I am using alcohol to escape and cope. Crazy as this sounds, I DON't want to be an alcoholic!! I want to be normal -- like normal with food, normal with booze just normal!! so I know I sound like a cry baby... but I'm so frustrated right now. I would like some input.. Do I need to think I'll never be able to handle alcohol, or can I think I can get this under control? I need to find some coping strategies for-sure... I am working on that any suggestions? I am really glad I found this forum (I'm new to this site) and also wondering if you ever "chat' on here? Any and all advice is welcome, it sounds like many of you have been exactly where I am now... Thanks, J
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 1/17/07 6:18 pm - East Burbs, MN
Hey Jen~ So sorry you are struggling. Only you can decide if alcohol is your problem. I speak for myself, but early on I did try many ways to figure out how to "handle" alcohol. It is not easy to admit there is a problem.. I commend you for posting and wish you all the best on your journey!!
RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/18/07 1:42 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hi Jen.. I know for myself what use to be just drinking with friends and partying.. turned to drinking by myself.. and more... after WLS. I found that my body could just not handle the alcohol like I could prior.. I would get tipsy after just a couple drinks.. and keep chugging.. would blackout after a couple hours.. and keep chugging 'til finally I would just pass out after about 4 hours. I do not have the desire to continue drinking *at least right now*.. so that helps me. But I have/do attend AA meetings for myself and a SO.. who is dealing with WLS and alcohol as well. Good luck and best wishes in finding your answers.. if you need to talk more, please let me know. Hugs.. Rhonda
Patricia R.
on 1/18/07 4:41 am - Perry, MI
Only you can decide this answer for yourself. But, I would challenge you to consider this one question: Is alcohol worth the risks? Since first posting here, I have heard so many stories of WLSers who cannot handle alcohol anymore. Is it the end of the world? No, there are plenty of people I know in AA who live full, rich lives without alcohol. I know plenty of people of certain religious beliefs systems who don't drink alcohol, and they lead rich lives. Alcohol is not necessary to have a happy, fulfilling life. If it were, I would be drinking right now, but I have not had a drink in over five years. My life is rich and full. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, seek help. Some suggest AA, others do therapy, some do both. Good luck and God bless. Hugs, Trish
Patricia R.
on 1/19/07 1:34 am - Perry, MI
Just remembered, you asked for coping strategies. Phone calls to people supportive of your efforts not to drink. Meditationi. Prayer. Exercise. Listening to soothing music. (I like classical for this.) Bubble bath by candlelight. Candlelight with the soothing music. Journaling. These are few of the things I have in my bag of tricks. Hugs, Trish
DarDar
on 1/19/07 2:48 am - exton, PA
OMG! ... LOL ... I thought I was the only one that did the bubble bath by candlelight. I LOVE IT! I also light candles....even at work. My boss thinks I'm a witch, because I feel so much better then they are lit...even she does. darlene
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views