do any of you feel this way?

on 12/29/06 3:21 am - Longview, TX
I have a drinking problem. I am six months out.......dealing with a stressful job, still have some health issues that surgery did not change, and I'm finding that I'm starting to eat more often, and I have found that I like wine. I make myself dump because these things make me, but in a way I do them cause I will dump, if that makes sense. I have not lost all my weight, but a big chunk of it. I am not happy with what I am doing......but unable to say, "I will stop." I went to a therapist before surgery, and I knew it was going to be difficult, but here's what I want to say, "I don't want to talk about all that crap from my past anymore!" I did that for years and feel like I got it all out, all the past crap.......I think I just have an anxiety disorder and NEED something to medicate me, to help me deal with the anxiety. Is there anyone here who feels this way? Leigh
Patricia R.
on 12/29/06 11:21 am - Perry, MI
I totally relate to your dilemma. I did the same things long before my surgery. Therapy is not just about the past. It is learning to reframe the past with the present, and also it is learning new coping skills to deal with the negative emotions, and stress. I have been in therapy since 1988. I am now, also, a therapist. If you have anxiety disorder, you can learn coping skills and use them, along with the proper medication, to cope with the stresses in your life, without the wine, or the dumping behaviors. I hope this makes sense. Hugs, Trish
Aime B.
on 1/1/07 8:06 am - Baltimore, MD
Finding a therapist that actually teaches you to develop new skills and strategies is nearly impossible. The best therapy I ever had was from a support group for Abuse. They actually had activities to help you work through your issues. I went to therapy for so long because of my divorce. The entire time I was thinking so what do I say next. The therapist never conducted the session. I made sure anytime after that I made an active therapist a part of my requirement. Good luck!!! Aime
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views