Just found this forum

NeedHelp
on 11/16/06 2:46 am - Rockford, IL
Hi, I have never been to this forum before, but I definitely have questions. Eating was certainly an addiction for me. Now, I notice that since I was given the medical ok for wine, that it is tasting awfullly good. How do I determine the underlying issues that would prevent me from taking one addiction and replacing it with another? I have seen a therapist in the past, but the way our insurance is set up, financially it would be really difficult. Were there any ways that you self searched and were able to determine your underlying issues that contributed to an addiction? I really want to nip anything in the bud, but am afraid it will just go to another area and never be resolved. Kim M.
Lauretta
on 11/16/06 3:35 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Welcome. I am sure others will have a variety of suggestions. I was quite sure I had an issue and it had found it's way into many areas. Food, shopping, alcohol, medicine. The list is very long. I joined a twelve step group. My personal choice is NA.Narcotics Anonymous. Many people go to AA or OA. There are others. It helped me to explore how the feelings and emotions I have are leading me to fill a painful void with " something". I could temporarily numb myself from the pain. They are ineffective coping skills because eventually they stop working and I am still stuck with me! Generally I think if you are questioning if you have a problem than you very well might have one. Only you can make that decision. The 12 step programs are free they are based on one addict helping another since we know what it feels like and can guide each other thru the step work. I joined shortly after my wls. It has been as important as my wls in helping me build a healthy happy life post op. Wishing you the best and feel free to send me a message. I check my profile regularly. Hugs, Laurie
Patricia R.
on 11/16/06 7:58 am - Perry, MI
I have been in psychotherapy for a very long time. I started in AA and OA in 1989, after my therapist told me I needed some help getting my out of control behaviors under control. The 12 Step programs offer a new way of self-examination, and seeking help from peers as well as a Higher Power/God. OA is for people who have trouble with food. AA is for alcohol. NA is for any drugs. Al-Anon is for people who love an alcoholic or addict. The only requirement for any of them is the "DESIRE to stop" the addictive behavior." My underlying issues are too numerous to name, but I can tell you my mother is bipolar, dad was an alcoholic, and I was sexually abused as a teenager by a man in my neighborhood. Those are the highlights of my childhood traumas. From there, my life mushroomed out of control into an alcoholic, food binge most of the time. I have been off alcohol for over five years now, and since my WLS, I have been experiencing a lot of emotional trauma with the recent death of my 40 year old brother, but I am not interested in drinking or bingeing anymore. Sorry if this rambled. I am kind of out of it a little tonight. Hugs, Trish
L S.
on 11/19/06 8:13 am - Holland, MI
I, too, attend 12 step meetings. NA is the fellowship for me. I agree with what was posted...if you think you MIGHT have a problem...you probably do. NA has a website..... www.na.org and you can check out some of our literature there. Good luck to you, and PLEASE feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need someone to talk to. Lizzie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views