SMOKING PRE-OP

want2bethin4me
on 11/4/06 12:37 pm
Hi everyone... Okay. This is for honest people please... I can't seem to kick the smoking habit. I did go 5 days without a cigarette, long enought o pass my nicotine test. Now I smoke again.. I am having surgery in a week and a half... HELP!!!!!!!!!! I need to know if any of you have smoked when you had surgery and what were your illness's after or problems.. I DO NOT WANT TO SMOKE ANYMORE.. My nerves are shot... I have not had one today so I am hoping not to have another one again. Especially before my surgery.. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?? I do not need to hear that it is bad for me or that it is an addiction. I know all that. I am worried that I will have severe difficulties because I did not quit weeks prior.. HELP
Lauretta
on 11/4/06 2:27 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
So sorry you are struggling. I quit 14 yr before surgery but picked it up again post op. Yes, it is not good for you pre op and I hope you can stick to quitting pre op I have not magic tho I just quit when I had had enough. Hopefully I will find the willingness again. Best wishes for your quitting and upcoming surgery. Laurie
vickiang
on 11/4/06 9:29 pm - Austin, TX
Sheri, I've heard that's one of the hardest. My surgeon makes me sign a contract pledging not to smoke for at least two weeks before surgery. It is quite dangerous. I'm sure you're trying patches and all. Now, I have never smoked, so I don't know. But it seems the hand to mouth habit would be every bit as hard as the physical addiction. Can you brainstorm and think of some action to substitute? When I wanted to drink I would hold the drink in front of me and really look at it and ask myself, do I love what is in this glass more than my own children? Boy, that did it for me. No brainer. Sometimes I just have to get out of the house. And everytime you want to smoke, come here and give a post until it passes. Post 50 times a day if you have to. That's what we're here for. We don't want to hear the good and then have you white knuckle it alone. If you want to chat. put a time out there so we can all get together and brainstorm this (I don't know how to do it, but I'll learn). Better to depend on people tha cigs! Vicki
Michelle W.
on 11/5/06 12:52 am - Olmsted Falls, OH
I quit before surgery, it only lasted a couple of months.In the car on the way home from the hospital, I started again. I suffered a serious incision line infection, which cause a open hole in my abdomen the size of a fist.I had to have it packed with gauze and cleaned twice a day.It was awful.I can't help but know that the smoking may have caused it.It's a risk, do your best to refrain.
Patricia R.
on 11/5/06 7:47 am - Perry, MI
Have you tried the nicotine gum? Or the lozenge? The nicotine is the addictive part. The smoke in your lungs is the danger before surgery. I never smoked, so I can't say much more, but I do know that nicotine's addictive power is as strong, if not stronger, than heroin's. Hugs, Trish
Amber B.
on 11/5/06 9:16 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
I quit smoking two months after I quit drinking, which was about 21 months ago. I know that smoking increases risk of infection and surgerical problems. I recommend you quit ASAP till at least after the surgery, hopefully by then you'll not want another cigarette. Its really important for your recovery. Two of my friends in recovery just quit smoking recently. One of which smoked three packs a day for 5 years and she did it!!!! It is possible. You can do it! You just have to have the right mindset and WANT to quit. Amber
Roberta D.
on 11/6/06 11:38 pm - Hackensack, NJ
Sheri, I too am struggling with no smoking. I am scheduled Nov 17th for surgery. I do have the patch and found that it does help. But I also don't smoke a pack a day due to my living arrangements with my sister. Can't smoke in her house, so that has caused me to cut way back on the smoking. I also noticed that living with her keeps me from smoking. But, and yes there is a but, I have had 1-2 some days. There are just times I cannot go with out one and I can't stand eating anymore. I have put on 10# since I quit and it's really affecting me physically. I do believe it has alot to do with our breathing and our going under. I have had surgery before and never had to quit. I want this surgery very much so I figure I have to keep the smoking at bay. You have one thing going for you, you want to quit, I don't really want to. So that makes it a little harder on my part. Some of the things I have found to help is doing something else to distract you from smoking. Go for a walk around the house, wash the dishes, go talk to someone, do anything that will take your mind off the cigarette, at least for 30 seconds. That does work and yes, voice your urge to smoke. It's only natural. I have managed to make it for 2 1/2 weeks just about smoke free. These last couple of days have been hardest for me due to stress around the house and the up coming surgery. Let's face it we have alot on our plates right now, with no smoking, and surgery. Gives us a break, we deserve it. Good luck on your upcoming surgery and keep the faith. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make the smoking go away for you and me. Roberta
RICARDO
on 11/12/06 7:42 am - WATSONVILLE, CA
Ok ......I was a smoker before the surgery for many years...i practically walk into my surgery smoking....after that i haven't smoke...now it's been over 2 months..it's really hard but as the days go it's easier.......it's not easy...but if I was able to do it...so is you...... i didn't use anything .....it's all in your will power......i never really try before quitting....but when i made my mind....smoking was over.....do i miss it?.......not really.
Aime B.
on 11/25/06 5:43 am - Baltimore, MD
I smoked up to surgery, stopped for a few days, and have gone right back to it. I am disappointed in myself. I was lucky enough to have evaded the nicotine test. God was with me on that one. I plan to talk to my internist about the newmedication that is out. I have tried everything. I want and need to quit. Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views