I stopped drinking recently can I have surgery?

AliceAcrombie
on 10/22/06 1:39 pm - Van Nuys, CA
My surgery date is 10/31. I quit drinking (I was a heavy drinker) only one week ago (two weeks before surgery). I'm scared to death now that the doctor is going to open me up and see a damaged liver and then reject me for the surgery. Am I being paranoid? There weren't any questions from my doc's office regarding drinking as prescreening...Nor did I mention it! I am 33 and low risk at this point. Does anyone have any experience with being a heavy drinker just prior to having surgery? Please advise. Thanks.
Amber B.
on 10/22/06 11:27 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
I don't know how your surgeon works, but I had to have my insides Xrayed before I had surgery. Those did notice my liver was enlarged and while I had surgery, they decided to do a biospy. Everything turned out clear. Personally, I would really want that checked into because if your liver is in that bad of shape, you may need time to get it back into shape before the surgery. I'm sure your doctor will do what's best for you. Just try to pray about it, it may help, you'll be in my thoughts. Amber
Patricia R.
on 10/24/06 1:58 pm - Perry, MI
During my preadmission testing they did an ultrasound and they can't help but see the liver because it is near the gall bladder, which they were checking. Mine was clear because I stopped drinking years ago. Be honest with your doc. Hugs, Trish
AliceAcrombie
on 10/24/06 2:25 pm - Van Nuys, CA
thanks for your advice and support. i completed all of my preop testing this afternoon and as far as I know everything looks okay. this could all change, of course once i'm on the operating table. my friends tell me i am worrying about nothing, but i think that is normal to do. although i was a heavy drinker for two years, i think everything will be okay???? only one way to find out...october 31st surgery. i will keep you posted on the outcome. thanks again for your replies to my question, i really really appreciate it.
poohbeancomputing
on 10/26/06 12:52 pm - Moses Lake, WA
I was a drinker too. I drank almost 4 days a week a half rack of beer by myself, then only drank on the weekends the closer I got to surgery. I quit drinking only 1 week before surgery. After surgery I asked my surgeon about my liver size and he said it was fine. (He also gave me a DVD of my surgery I am watching it right now and my liver looks fine) good luck
AliceAcrombie
on 10/26/06 1:13 pm - Van Nuys, CA
Thanks for sharing your experience with me and for being so honest. You have helped to ease my mind a lot. How was the video?
poohbeancomputing
on 10/29/06 7:19 am - Moses Lake, WA
The video was great pretty graphic but interesting I like it..
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views