My addictions

Judi52570
on 10/9/06 8:30 am - Milton, IA
Well, I have been reading on this board, and I am glad to know I am not alone. Part of me thinks my addictions are somewhat "silly" as comparisn to some that are unfortunately addicted to drugs or alcohol, or even cigarettes. But, I know that NO addiction is "silly" and everyone has their own addictions on here. I am highly addicted to Diet Mountain Dew. And sweets. I had my gastric bypass in 5/03 and had done well, and have even had the belt lipectomy to remove 13 lbs of excess skin. I can drink anywhere from 6 to 12 cans of pop a day. I drink it until I go to sleep at night and if I wake up at night-and first thing in the morning. When we go out to eat, whichis NOT very often trust me-I live in the sticks, I do drink regular pop and its "ok" but not a big deal. Apparently they recently switched the flavor of Diet Dew somewhat-this last spring. Since then I have begun drinking even more. I also need and crave chocalate. No matter what. I have to have some type of regular chocolate every day. I know that a lot of people on here seem to push AA or OA or any other group like that. Unfortunately there really arent any groups like that around here. I had been going to counseling but I dont have XIX anymore so I now have to pay $20 a session to go see them and I dont have any extra money to go right now. I have gained back 70 lbs in the last year or so since I moved down here to southern Iowa to be with my hubby-to-be. Of course, I went from before I moved down here I was going to college full time and it was just me and my son, so I didnt always have to cook a full meal either. If we had a pizza then that was it, I was busy with school and everything else. Now, I took a sitting job doing transcription in an office, as well as some other duties, and having to cook eevery meal because we cant afford going out-which is a good thing-I know. I guess I just needed some moral support if anybody has any to give. My bypass doc wants to see me again and do another upper GI and find out if my pouch has stretched or is leaking to let me gain so much weight back. I used to be able to eat a candy bar a day and still loose weight, of course, I was much more active then! Thanks Judi
Patricia R.
on 10/9/06 12:44 pm - Perry, MI
Judi, I totally understand what you wrote, and have been there with my eating behaviors in the past. If you cannot attend OA, because of geography, you can read stuff at their website and purchase their books and materials online. That could help you a little. There are also OA forums on Yahoo. I used to participate in one. You know what you need to do. You need to cut out the chocolate and any other sugars that you are consuming. It is possible to do it. I have done it in the past. There are plenty of sugar free alternatives, like sugar free chocolate pudding. Feel free to e-mail me if you need to talk. Hugs, Trish
Judi52570
on 10/12/06 11:31 am - Milton, IA
Trish Thank you for your words and your good thoughts. I know you are thinking of me. I do need to work on cuttng out certain foods. Some days it seems like I dont eat much at all though-but not doing a lot of physical activity either! Hugs Judi
Amber B.
on 10/9/06 8:52 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
I have co-workers who have gained their entire weight back mainly due to soda. It has been proven that the carbination will stretch your stomach back out. I'm sorry you are going through this. I think OA would be a great option for you. Any 12 Step program applies. I'll be praying for you and I hope that you find something that works for you. Hang in there, Amber
Curious G.
on 10/9/06 10:13 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Hey Amber! Can you point me to the studies proving that carbonation stretches the pouch? hugs, Michelle
Amber B.
on 10/9/06 10:57 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
My doctor is the one who gave me the information so I don't have it online. However, I blingo'd carbonation stretching pouch after gastric bypass and got a link to: http://www.weightlosssurgerycoach.com/success.shtml It has a little information. I'm sure you can find more. I'm steering clear of that stuff forever! Not a real big soda fan anyway. Hope that helps! Amber
Judi52570
on 10/12/06 11:34 am - Milton, IA
wow I honestly had never heard that about soda! honest!! My doc has never said anything!! just do diet he said, no sugary pops, which generally are too sweet for me anyhow-once in a while I will drink a coke to wash stuff down is all- I will have to do some research on that too But=I talked with one of my old friends from a nursing home I worked at-and she, I, and another gal all had the surgeries right about the same time-and the other gal has gained almost all her weight back. My one girlfriend had only gained back about 10 lbs, which is good-butshe always got soo sick from meats and stuff she barely ate anyhow! So I dont feel quite so bad now Judi
Lauretta
on 10/22/06 1:08 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Judy, Have not been on the mb much but your message really speaks to me. Eating was the addiction that was killing me. I would be back to square one and back to alcohol and pain meds if I had not addressed my issues post op. For me NA works but everyones situation is different. My addiction is so wide spread into my life there is no one area that is safe after a lifetime of substituting one thing for another. Do not give up. WLS is a big boost to health but it does not fix the underlying problem for those of us with addiction. Today you know without a doubt the problem is emotional you have the physical tools so keep working on getting the emotional tools to deal. Hugs, Laurie
Loril
on 10/9/06 11:52 pm - Hopkins, MN
I can relate to the diet Dew...I also can't stay away from it. But I'm not stressing myself because I have given up beer, and if diet dew keeps me from going back, I will take the lesser of two evils The pouch stretching is a huge debate...Everyone tends to beleive their own surgeon (as you should) and mine says phooey....carbonation will not stretch it. It would have to hold it in (and gas it up) for a huge amt of time for that to happen. And since stuff runs thru us now super fast, its not an issue (this is for roux n y patients that is) and thats why we burp and toot so much now, because any gaseous products we consume will cause this to happen. But kudos to those who can keep away from the stuff!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views