confused.........

steelergirl
on 10/3/06 4:13 am - hazlet, NJ
My husband just checked into rehab yesterday. It has been a tough year and a half. I am so glad he is getting the help he needs. It will be a 5 day inpatient evaluation and then they decide what he needs. Has anyone out there been in rehab? I was just wondering what the % of people that stay clean. I have no addictions so I really feel clueless.
LaurieLo
on 10/3/06 4:58 am - Rochester, NY
My first husband went through rehab twice while we were married and it didn't work for him. I tried to support him and went along with all the things I was supposed to do but it didn't work. I wound up leaving him after 2 years (while I was 5 mos. pregnant). The stress of not knowing when/if he would fall again drove me crazy. I could never trust him and that ruined everything. It was the worst time of my life and you need to be really strong if you are going to stand by him. Good luck to you.
Patricia R.
on 10/3/06 5:47 am - Perry, MI
I had done research in graduate school on the treatment of alcoholism and addiction in women, but don't have any statistics to help you with. What I can tell you is that you need to work on taking care of you. Find an Al-Anon or Nar-Anon meeting near you and attend it. Learn to take care of your needs without expecting him to help you. If your husband wants to get clean and stay clean, if he is willing to be rigorously honest and go to any length, he can succeed. That will involve a lot of hard work on his part, and for many, the 12 step programs of AA and NA help tremendously. My son was in rehab, in and outpatient, three times in three years, and he finally did kick his heroin addiction. Unfortunately, he thinks that was just a phase and that he can now drink socially. We will see if this really works for him. Good Luck. Feel free to e-mail me if you need to talk. Hugs, Trish
Lauretta
on 10/5/06 12:51 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Make sure you take care of yourself. I have tons of codependancy issues myself. I encourage you to check out Alanon or Naranon for support. You will have your own things to deal with.You will do you and your husband a great service to not ingnore your needs. Laurie
essence1226
on 10/6/06 4:16 am - Pinellas Park, FL
hi laurie. rehab will not work unless the person going into rehab is ready to make it work. it's just like our tools that we have. we have to work....hard... eveyday to continue to lose weight and keep it off. i come from a family of alcoholics and i had to raise my sister when i was 7 and she was 3 (either a parent was at work or passed out). my dad finally went into rehab when he had a severe stroke. i am proud to say he has been sober for 17 years!!! my mother on the other hand is still a closet drinker which is pretty sad since i'm a grown adult and can see right through her. you are in my prayers and i hope your husband makes it for the sake of his health and your life together. much love, jamie
jcservant2002
on 10/23/06 8:42 am - MA
I used to run a drug rehab and post-detox and the general stats were 5-10% remained clean. Others I have heard higher. Honesty, my clients that made it and remained clean of drugs ended up going to God and He helped them through the tough times. Also, good sponsers, NA, AA, therapists, any family friends that are "safe" goes along way. You can do it keep in one minute at a time. oh, I believe alchol is a higher percentage of people making it for long term. My dad is 15 years clean and meetings and sponsors are what got him through it. Stay focused and you will do it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views