Smoking

Tamara C.
on 9/21/06 4:29 pm - Highland, CA
Hi all....ok so my surgery is schelduled for Monday September 25, 2006 at 9:30 in the morning....just one small problem.....I haven't completely quit smoking. My surgery rules say to quit smoking three weeks prior to surgery. I know this is very bad and I shouldn't be but what can I say....I have been. I haven't been smoking as many lately tho....I'm down to anywhere from 4 to 8 cigs a day now and I used to smoke a pack and a half a day. My surgery date came as a shock to me. They called me and told me I could have surgery in 5 days and that was cool at the time.....but today I have been very anxious and scared about the smoking stuff. I know people that still smoke and had surgery....so why again is it so important to quit before? my plan is to not smoke these next three days before my surgery....do you guys think that is enough???
Patricia R.
on 9/21/06 10:45 pm - Perry, MI
I don't know about three days being enough. The reason they want you to quit before surgery is because you will have a trache tube in your throat helping you breath during the surgery. After surgery, you will have to do deep breathing exercises every so many hours, as there is a risk of pneumonia otherwise. My suggestion is to quit now, and then do deep breathing exercises every hour. Breath in for a count of six, and then breath out slowly for a count of six. Do that for three minutes. Make sure you deep breath, get the air all the way in the lungs. Good luck, Hugs, Trish
Tamara C.
on 9/22/06 2:58 am - Highland, CA
Thank You!!! That helped so much.....I'm not sure if three days is enough either....but I am committed to quiting these three days and after surgery.....no more for me I will practice the breathing excersises....that thought didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it so thanks
Lauretta
on 9/23/06 1:04 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Good luck with your surgery. Hang in there and deep breathe. Laurie
Amber B.
on 9/25/06 4:22 am - Virginia Beach, VA
You should be in surgery right now, I was curious how your smoking went. Hopefully you were able to stop and are still going strong. I hope your surgery is going well and your recovery is uneventful! You're in my thoughts, Amber
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views