AA meeting-which one??

Loril
on 9/15/06 12:58 am - Hopkins, MN
If I were to find a meeting to attend, what am I looking for? Open/closed/big book/etc, what do they all mean? Thanks! Lori
DarDar
on 9/15/06 2:57 am - exton, PA
Open = Anyone can be in the room Closed = Only Alcoholics can be in the room Big Book = Talks about the Alcoholics Anonymous Book They also have meetings for smokers and non smokers and Gay and so on, you get the picture? DarDar
Amber B.
on 9/15/06 3:25 am - Virginia Beach, VA
As a newcomer you may want to go to an open - open discussion meeting. You'll get a chance to hear other people's stories and it helps you relate better. There may also be other people like you in there. Closed meetings are for those that admit they are powerless over alcohol and that their lives are unmanagable. Big Book studies are great, they help you understand the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. They also have 12/12 which are studies on the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions. As Bill Sees It Meetings are neat because you read out of a different book and just discuss the passages, its more personal. I hope that helps a little. I go to all different types, you never know what you're going to get and I take something away from each of them. Feel free to grab someone after the meeting and ask any questions you want. Amber
Patricia R.
on 9/15/06 4:59 am - Perry, MI
In my area, Closed Meetings are for anyone who thinks they have a problem with alcohol, whether you think you are an alcoholic or not. If you think you have a problem you are welcome there. My suggestion is to try a variety of meetings and see which ones are most comfortable for you. Hugs, Trish
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 9/15/06 7:54 pm - East Burbs, MN
I go to a step meeting, however including myself, there are a few who discuss open. Step meetings focus on 1 of the 12 steps each time. I, personally, have completed very few steps. The one that I have locked in is that I am powerless...... I am still learning the steps and taking in all I can for when I work the steps.. Hugs to you!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views