Recovering from Addictions?

sjbob
on 9/12/06 5:45 am - Willingboro, NJ
I have spoken to my psychiatrist many times about my problems with compulsive overeating. I told him that I know from prior consultations that OA has one of the poorest success rates of all of the 12 step programs. He acknowledged that and said that AA is the best with about a 35% success rate. But, he said that partial failure is part of success. And, that, so far, the 12 step programs are the most popular forms (or forums) of recovery. Part of the problem with compulsive overeating is that most insurance policies will not cover impatient treatment of food addictions. When I was in OA, I did encounter some people who had gone through such treatments, and their recovery was much stronger than the other people at the meetings. But, it is important to remember that this is a recovery program and it is an ongoing process. Do not expect to have an instant healing where ever you go for treatment. You will have successes and you may have days when you slip. Admit that you have slipped and get on with your life. I'm not in the position to say who you should admit your slips to: for some admitting them to yourself may be enough, others may need to tell another support group member, and still others may need a prayer to their god. But the important thing is to Not get overcome by GUILT. A SLIP is Just A Slip.
Patricia R.
on 9/12/06 6:22 am - Perry, MI
I went to an Intensive Outpatient Program in Feasterville, PA that was covered by my insurance, which is Magellan through Blue Cross. If it were necessary, they would have given me inpatient benefits. If you are interested in the IOP program I went to, it was run by the doctor who runs the Inpatient program at Friends hospital in Philadelphia. It has a great reputation. E-mail me if you have any questions. Hugs, Trish
ms jay
on 9/12/06 11:10 am - OH
Are you overeating after your bypass ? If so, does it hurt your pouch? How much have you loss since your bypass? I wish you much luck in conquering your addiction. I find that after my bypass that I can not overeat.It is too painful. If I overeat, I throw up. It hurts sooooo much.
sjbob
on 9/12/06 1:18 pm - Willingboro, NJ
I never had a problem with overeating after my bypass; rather, I continued to have a grazing problem. The pouch worked for a long time and even when I got a staple line disruption, I didn't revert to overeating at meals. My big problem with the food addiction was that I was always eating. I realized that grazing was my problem before my first RNY but the nutritionists never gave me any adequate answers on how to overcome that problem. I think I can credit Don Curran (who with his wife, Michelle, runs vitalady.com) with mentoring me enough to understand that I was misinterpretting my body's hunger. I now know that when I think I want junk, my body is looking for protein. Eating high carb foods or other junk foods do not satisfy that hunger. All I do when I eat them is gain weight. If I eat high protein low carb foods or supplements, then I can satisfy the hunger without gaining weight. I know that Don and Michelle advocate the use of protein supplements and I think they are right. It is what works for me. You can read their rationale at their website. My doctor and nutritionist are against the shakes and supplements but I couldn't get that to work for me. I'd suggest finding what works for you and going with it. I've found that I like to now have an AchievOne protein drink in the am along with a banana (for potassium) along with my vitamins and meds. I have a combination of regular foods, salads, protein shakes and bars throughout the day. It's now working for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views