Taking care of myself

vickiang
on 8/29/06 10:32 pm - Austin, TX
Yesterday was a toughie, but you know what? That was yesterday and I feel great today. When I was drinking, I was absolutely consumed by those down days and had no faith that they would pass. I actually perpetuated them by allowing myself to wallow in self-pity. We addicts are surely drama queens/kings! I used to think being normal meant static meant boring. But I kinda like it here. Vicki
Lauretta
on 8/30/06 3:27 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Well, I have been told we can restart our day at anytime. Pity parties! Oh I wanted to have a great big one this week but decided to pass. Off to the tailor soon then the dentist for a cleaning, shopping for a new bra to go with my new halter dress and dinner for my daughters 18th birthday. I am babysitting over night for a 5 mo old tonight after 9 pm. Busy day and I can assure you before wls and recovery i could not have done it. Did I say halter dress? Yes, I decided to let my fear of exposing my arms not rule me. It is a beautiful dress and my arms are not worse than the average 50 yr old woman so why obsess? I could and in my mind I would be gross to everyone who sees me but my logical mind knows it is not true. i will have a little shawl or jacket in case I really do get uncomfortable . Why ruin the nite just in case. I am going to do my best to stop this behavior. I am off to the tailor! Laurie
Patricia R.
on 9/2/06 6:26 am - Perry, MI
Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. I am spending more time on the computer since my discharge on Thursday. There is a green card that I got in an AA meeting that has some words of wisdom on it. It is called "Just for Today." "Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime. Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be." Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it. Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it. Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won't find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself. Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision. Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life. Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me." It is a great thing to read each day and remind myself of what I am doing each day. Hope this makes sense. Trish
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views