codependent living with alcoholic

~~*jamie*~~ .
on 8/28/06 4:28 am - Martinez, CA
Ok, this might not be the correct forum for me to post, but here goes anyway...cuz i need some relief. i am very definately codependent, no question about that. my bf is an alcoholic who has been trying to stop drinking. he does well for a while,my trust starts to build up, he relapses, binges, says he is sorry, his addiction got the best of him, etc, and i remain angry. angry, disappointed, tired, frustrated, whatever combination of all of these. there is a part of me that just wants him to please stop drinking, he is so great when alcohol is not involved, and there is another part of me that is so sick of living with his disease that i just don't even want to be with him anymore. even as i am writing this, i am trying not cry. Thanks for letting me dump my garbage here, I hope it was an appropriate place to do so. Jamie
Lauretta
on 8/28/06 3:08 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Jaime, It is my personal opinion that co-dependence is a form of addiction in itself. I would strongly encourage you to seek out an Al-anon group. Atho I am a member of NA I have gone to Nar-anon and al-anon mtgs and feel they have helped me with my codependency issues. It is very therapuetic to be with others who understand and have dealt with the same issues and share their experience. These meeting are for you so you have an outlet and support dealing with your feelings. You will carry them into other relationships if you do not get a handle on it. Even if you leave your bf you are at risk to repeat the same pattern unless you find a way to take care of you. This is an addictions forum and I welcome you here to discuss your experience and feelings dealing with addiction. Hugs, Laurie
vickiang
on 8/28/06 11:20 pm - Austin, TX
Ditto. Al-anon will give you an understanding of the disease and teach you coping skills. Those skills are valuable in every aspect of your lfe, so it's a win win. It's such a relief to talk with others who have been there before and give us ideas so we don't have to re-invent the wheel. Or be dragged down into drinking ourselves. Vicki
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views