What can you tell me about binge-drinking?

Loril
on 8/26/06 6:18 am - Hopkins, MN
You guys have so much insight...is there a difference between binging and being an alcoholic? I hope I get lots of opinions and data, THANKS! Lori
Lauretta
on 8/26/06 2:58 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
For me there is no difference. Binging was how I used. I did not drink daily but it was in fact my first choice to cope or avoid things. It was getting progressive. I found more and more reasons to drink, created parties and occassions to drink. Back in college during my Senior year I did drink daily but that was in 1976-77. I DID NOT GET INTO RECOVERY UNTIL 2004! I found ways thru food, shopping, controling others, pain meds to get the comfort I was seeking including alcohol but because I substituted substances so easily and often I could live in denial and frankly my family did not get it. I hope this makes sense to you. I never was seen by anyone I know as and addict or alcoholic. Deep inside I knew but it was easy to look away since I had such sucess and no legal problems like so many have. I cannot say that it would never have happened because I know the disease gets progressivly worse. Frankly, I think I would have died due to medical complications of my obesity and pain meds before anyone figured it out. My life is a miracle and the cir****tances leading to my awareness and willingness to seek help are nothing short of a devine intervention of my higher power. Thank Goodness I heard it and took action because I am glad to be alive and clean today! Laurie
Patricia R.
on 8/26/06 3:24 pm - Perry, MI
I was a binger most of my life. My day-to-day drinking took place in 1982, for two months. I would then go for months without a drink. Binge and then go for months again. In 1989, my binges got closer together, and I started therapy for an eating disorder. One day I binged on food and alcohol, went into therapy and was confronted about my behavior. That weekend was my first AA meeting. You will hear all types of stories of all types of drinkers in an AA meeting. The only requirement for AA is the desire to stop drinking. I tried to deny I had a drinking problem for years. It was a waste of time. My drinking history included blackouts. That was enough. I drank to numb myself from feeling things. That is abnormal behavior. Have you attended an AA meeting yet? It is suggested to go for a few weeks. Listen to the sharing. Talk to the members. Open your mind to what you are hearing. Hugs, Trish
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views