Not for everyone BUT.....

Lauretta
on 8/23/06 4:15 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Hi all, I was just thinking about the process of recovery. We are all different and we hopefully find our way and what works in our lives. For me it happens to be the 12 steps. I tried other things many times but it clicks for me. I was willing to be open minded and listen for the similarities not the differences. I would not have crossed paths with most of the people that fill my life today. I have found we have a common thread and can communicate on a level I never experienced before. It is a process. I did not walk in and suddenly feel a part of.... I just kept going back. Eventually I felt safe enough to reach out, to apply suggestions. Something miraculous happened and one day I was part of... Attraction rather than promotion. What I saw in the lives of those *****ally work the program looked good, what I was experienceing felt good. Not suggesting it is the only way but I am suggesting that you will not know if you do not give it an honest, open minded chance. I am personally not a religious person but I have always been spiritual. That is the key. Positive energy attracts positive energy. If you think you might be willing to try then I encourage you to give it a whirl. the fellowships are full of people, humans with human faults and frailities. The program is not flawed but some of the members are. We each have the choice to work our own program. Hugs, Laurie
Patricia R.
on 8/23/06 11:05 am - Perry, MI
I totally understand what you share here. I fought AA for a very long time. I got into the steps because I found a Recovery Bible that showed me how the steps are Biblical principles from the get-go. I struggled because I didn't want to need a bunch of drunks to teach me anything. I did try another program, SMART Recovery. Their ideas don't use a spiritual program, but cognitive therapy approach. Having studied cognitive therapy, I totally understand it and agree with it. BUT, they had no meetings around. They believe you can be cured and not need to come to meetings once cured. Well, AA would not exist if Bill and Dr. Bob kept it to themselves once they got sober. I appreciate that there are old timers with decades of sobriety willing to go to a meeting to welcome the newcomers, and show them how to get and stay sober. I also need the spirituality of the program. I have a deep faith, and it fits the 12 steps nicely. I can't do anything without God in my life. I wish more people could experience what I have experienced in my sobriety, the serenity that eluded me for most of my life. Hugs, Trish
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views