Poll:

Loril
on 8/17/06 2:29 pm - Hopkins, MN
For those "indulging" after wls, I am curious about how many drinks you can drink in a night out, or in. I think I can tolerate a huge amount and am trying to gauge it. For those who have read my posts you know I didn't drink before wls (weddings, parties I did, but never ever on a week day. EVER) I feel sometimes I'm going from 0-60 mph. But I know the food was a full-on, full frontal assault and now that I can't eat I am going in a different direction. But honestly......... Back to the original question-how many libations can you consume. Don'****er it down.... Thanks, Lori
Patricia R.
on 8/17/06 10:20 pm - Perry, MI
It sounds like you are trying to figure out how much drinking you can get away with. That is not what I am about. I haven't had my surgery and I have not had a drink in almost 5 years. I come here to learn how to stay sober before and after my weight loss, not to learn how to drink. I don't want to ever drink again. PERIOD. I am here to grow in my recovery not learn how to relapse after I have my surgery. Instead of surveying people on their drinking, you should be surveying people on their meeting attendance, and what step they are working if they go to a 12 step program. How many meetings do you make? How long have you been sober? What step are you working on? Do you have a sponsor? Those are the things I am interested in when I come here. Sorry to be so abrupt, but your post scares the s*** out of me. I am terrified of relapsing after my surgery. Hugs, Trish
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/06 11:17 pm - somewhere, MA
Lori, I have to agree with Trish. You seem to be walking a fine line and a dangerous one. Alcohol was never a big appeal for me, but when you say I think I can tolerate a huge amount, that is a slippery slope. Please be careful and think about the direction you are going in and redirect your energy in another one. Jim
Trishb
on 8/18/06 1:28 am - CA
Alcohol is in my opinion a very risky thing for a post-GBP person. I have been a "normal" drinker all my life. I was about a year post-surgery when I had my first drink. First off... it hits you WAY harder post surgery and instead of a wait-period to feel the effects it was for me after the first swallow of wine that I felt it. It was more intense than I remembered it being before surgery. I liked it... before I knew it (2 years later) I came to the realization that I was addicted to alcohol. Kicking alcohol addiction is hard... hard... hard... in fact, it downright sucked. I'm 9 months sober now and thank my lucky stars every day that I didn't have to lose everything before I realized my addiction and ended my insane relationship with alcohol. My best advice is to avoid alcohol. If you choose to drink limit your drinks to 2 for the entire evening spaced apart by at the minimum 1 hour. Never ever ever ever drink alone. Never ever ever ever drive yourself after you have consumed alcohol. It hits us so much harder than a non-gbp person. Tread carefully post-op when dealing with alcohol. Don't transfer your addiction to booze. It's so not worth it. Some never crawl out of alcohol/drug addiction so please don't take that chance.
allyoop_702
on 8/18/06 7:43 am - rome, OH
I would drink a 24 pack of beer a night and still want more. Towards the end I was drinking a gallon of vodka a day. I have been sober for 19 months now and I am so glad I quit. Before my surgery I was never able to consume so much. Good luck to you. It isn't an easy battle but it can be won. You have to want to do it. Keep your mind set on it and you will do it. One day at a time!!
Lauretta
on 8/19/06 3:50 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Lori, Without willingness to surrender it will not work. The idea that you can have "some" is a huge reservation. I know because i THOUGHT i COULD DO IT! I went to meetings and continued to drin****assionally because I believed alcohol was not the problem. Meetings helped they did not offer me the full gift of recovery until I fully accepted that I had to remove all mind altering substances from my life. "One is too many a nd a thousand is never enough". Not being flip or bashing in any way. It is just true. I was 48 yr old when I stopped trying to do it alone and MY way. My way never had any longevity. I am clean now for over 2 yr and still have to apply myself and always will. I hate it somedays and full of gratitude most of the time. Keep posting there is a lot of experience, hope and strength here on the board. It certainly gives those things to me. Hugs, Laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views