Antabuse?

Loril
on 8/16/06 2:30 pm - Hopkins, MN
I think I will try this route, seriously. Anyone been there? Please share the (your) pro's and con's...and how do I walk into a clinic and and say hey, let's try this? All I know is the behavior modification worked for me for food, so why not alcohol? I have a PCP that has been with me since 96 and knows me. I think she would prescribe antabuse. What d'ya think? Thanks, Lori
Curious G.
on 8/16/06 9:49 pm - Peachtree City, GA
I think anything proven to work is not silly to persue. The important thing is a) the willingness to not drink, and b) the actions to take that course of action. I say - go for it! I also say, while taking that route, it would be good to get some sort of other help (therapy etc) to figure out the "why" behind the drinking, and to help you develop some substitute coping skills. You can't take anabuse forever, and sooner or later, it is going to have to boil down to you doing it. Proud of you! Go "git r done" Love, m
Patricia R.
on 8/16/06 11:07 pm - Perry, MI
I agree with Georgette. Therapy and participation in a social support group can help you learn and develop coping skills. AA is a great place to get the support you need. The 12 steps help clear away the emotional wreckage of our past and help us live in peace with ourselves. Hugs, Trish
DarDar
on 8/17/06 1:47 am - exton, PA
I knew a man that went this route. He would come and stay with me when he drink on it. He knew I didn't drink, and that he would be safe at my home. What a mess this poor sole was! He would take shower after shower. His skin just iched so much the could have clawed it off. He was miserable. I felt so sorry for him. However, the sad news is that this didn't stop him from drinking. He just figured that he wouldn't take the meds, and then drink. Later, he focused on AA, and got the message that drinking was not for him....a day at a time. Make no mistake this is a battle, how ever you decide to fight it...go for it. But, while you are taking this drug, I HIGHLY suggest you find a sponsor and meetings in your area. I go to 5 to 10 meetings a week. Good Luck on your new journey.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views