What do you do for fun...?

*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 8/7/06 10:13 pm - East Burbs, MN
Last night at my meeting I had opened up about being down about my alcoholism. I feel like I am NO fun anymore and would rather come home from work and go directly to bed. One of the elders, of which I LOVE dearly, reccommended 2 things.. 1.. GET A SPONSOR and 2.. Find something FUN to do.. What kind of fun can a person have when they are not drinking?!? (thats my mentality right now). I am still sober, but have been thinking (alot) lately...Why not have just one? Lets see if you can do it. Truly.. If I knew I could I most definately would, BUT I KNOW I CANT SO I WONT. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.. SO.. What do you do for fun...? Dana 46 days sober..
vickiang
on 8/7/06 10:41 pm - Austin, TX
That comes with the territory. I couldn't imagine having fun w/o going to a bar or a party and getting buzzed. Aye, but there's the rub! When we get drunk, we don't take time to discover who we are and what we really like. It's all about the booze. Take it away and we see ourselves for the empty shells we are. It's daunting, but try to have a mind shift and see this as an exciting time of self exploration. Between the weight loss and getting sober, there's an entire universe of possibilities out there! I remember, before I started to get a sense of self, wondering am I a cowgirl, executive, floozy, drama queen, pta mom, slouchy dresser, smart casua, foo foo? What am I? Do I I like theatre, concerts, camping, gardening, cooking, hiking, what? Even good change can be ovewhelming, but how many people ever get a chance to totally (re) invent themselves? Just relax, and let the river take you where it will. You will be amazed and excited. I loved to vege garden in Ca. Limestone here in Austin, I mourned the loss of my hobby but on the plus side, it made me branch out. Now I'm into the Austin theatre scene big time. I love going to the gym in the morning, as much as I complain. Working out in some fashion helps me immensly on a couple of fronts. It sets me up with a positive attitude for the day, it reminds me to take car of and respect me, and it is a stress reliever so I can sleep at night instead of battle with the head squirrels. When I was losing weight, I set fun goals for certain milestones. When I hit 250, the max allowable weight, I went to Mexico and went horseback riding. I've been parasailing in Bali, SCUBA certified in Thailand, cave diving in Malaysia, cave tubing in Belize, learned to snow ski . and on and on. I figured it cost less and was worth more than all of the booze and junk food I had been consuming. I do it all local style, so money is no excuse. I never had trouble scrounging up enough for a bottle of vodka, that's for sure. I figure I spent at least $300/month on alcohol, so $3600/year on fun stuff is reasonable. I don't even spend that much and have money left over for clothes and Hats. I'm going on a cruise next month with my Mom 10 days to the Western Carribean. $550 incl port charges, taxes, agent fee. I don't have to spend another dime if I don't want to. That's far less than two months of vodka, and much more memorable I am sure! I'm doing the shipshape program on board, so I'm also treating myself to a health spa retreat the cheapy way. The important thing is not to sell yourself short. Don't think well, now I can't do anything because I can't do what I know. Or I can't afford to this because it isn't in my budget even though I now have hundreds$ extra. Have fun and explore! You'll be awed at where life takes you. I try not to feel cheated that I wasted so much time. Vicki
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 8/7/06 11:54 pm - East Burbs, MN
You have lots of fun in your plan!! I will get there, but I seem to be a bit funky right now. I chuckled at the meeting last night when the guy I was chatting with said.. "Maybe you should take up knitting.." Mind you he is 83 yrs young, but it was a very cute suggestion... I will start exploring new opportunities for FUN!!
Lalocaweta
on 8/7/06 10:51 pm - Spicewood, TX
Dana: Got to tell you - I am kind of wondering the same things you are...I know it is possible to have fun w/o alcohol, but I don't remember how to do that. So - I too am going to bed early (though granted not as early as when I was drinking and passed out at 800pm on the sofa....) But, my therapist also told me to find some hobbies. (I had to admit that I have never really had a hobby - so kind of at a lose on how to develop one) I do enjoy cooking, but my DH and children are not much for experimentation. I love to read - but the therapist says it needs to be a hobby where I am around other people. (As I tended to be a solitary drinker....) Hang in there - we can do this. It is a new "job" - so going to take time to get used to it. Anne 9 days sober
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 8/8/06 12:02 am - East Burbs, MN
I too was a solitary drinker.. most of the time.. FUN things to think about for all! Thanks Anne!! 9 days!! wooohooo!!
Curious G.
on 8/7/06 11:31 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Wow - are you in my head? Since getting sober (both over two months ago and post my little "relapse"), I just read. I even stopped going to the gym in the mornings. When I was actively drinking, I drank out of boredom and to escape my thoughts/anxiety more than anything else. Reading helps me do that, so in a way, I've replaced sitting with a 12 pack at night to sitting with a book. GRANTED I also replaced it with my OCD "no dishes in the sink before bed" check and locking the door 300 times My church does 12 Step Tuesdays in the evenings, and other small groups throughout the week. I've been TERRIFIED to go to either of these for some reason. My therapist and I were talking - trying to wrap my head around the fear, but I can't quite place it. I think it boils down to fear of failing at being normal. So I sit paralized if that makes any sense. I love roller skating and playing tennis, and swimming, and movies too. I've done very little in several months. I find myself withdrawing a lot more the past few months - mostly out of shame and self loathing. It's sad, but when NOT drinking, I truly realize what a **** I've been the past year. I don't like me very much. I'm constantly AMAZED that those who love me still do, and I just assume they'll write me off eventually. So YES, I need to stay in therapy don't I? Well - I think I rambled more than you did - but I know how you're feeling. Perhaps we could join Toastmasters and "fake it until we make it" love m
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 8/8/06 12:08 am - East Burbs, MN
Heres to some FUN days ahead with Toastmasters Therapy...MY life wouldnt exist without it and my prozac!! I wish you all the best jumping over the hurdle of fear. I too was afraid, but once I made that initial leap. It did feel good. Hugs to you!! Dana
Patricia R.
on 8/10/06 1:36 pm - Perry, MI
What do I do for fun? I knit and crochet, and participate in two different groups that get together to do just that. We have a great time sharing patterns and admiring each others work. It is like a hen party. What is neat is being one of the youngest ladies there, and I am almost 50. I take hikes in the woods and walks in the park in nice weather. I visit museums and enjoy history and art. I read. I love Christian self-help, like Joyce Meyer. I travel, and visit my kids. My family gets together for Scrabble tournaments and Texas Hold 'Em tournaments at my house regularly. Picnics in parks. My sister-in-law just got herself a kayak and she cruises the local lakes. Go to the movies and watch a good comedy. Watch DVDs. RV is coming out on DVD this coming week, and I loved it. Totally stupid funny stuff. If I think of more, I will let you know. Hugs, Trish
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views