introducing myself

allyoop_702
on 8/2/06 12:58 am - rome, OH
hello, my name is diane. just wanted to introduce myself. i am a recovering alcoholic. i have been sober for 18 months now. i had my gastric bypass in february of 2000. starting drinking heavy in 2004. i really should have seen the signs earlier but i didn't. just thought i was having a good time. my sister died as a result of depression and alcohol. she had her surgery in 1998. she died in 2004 which resulted in me drinking myself almost to death from depression from her death. i am so happy since i have quit drinking. i do have a bleeding ulcer that was just diagnosed last month. my doctor was misdiagnosing me for months and i finally went to e.r. after i was bleeding from my rectum. i spent a week in the hospital with blood transfusions and i.v. drips. as a result from my drinking i am now severly anemic. i am no longer malnutritioned. i did gain 45 lbs. back after i quit drinking but i needed to because i had went down to 145lbs. i am 5ft. 8in. so needless to say i looked very sickly. i was concerned with the weight gain at first but i am just thankful i am alive and i am able to watch my kids grow. i am thankful for what i have because what i have lost in the past few years has been heartbreaking. my mom died 7 months after my sister from prescription drug use. 7 months after my mom died my grandma passed away. so within 21 months i had lost 3 very dear people in my life. i am glad that my grandmother seen me straighten up my life and get sober. my friends and family have been very supportive. i do not go to AA and that is a personal choice. i have done this on my own and i am proud. this will always be a struggle and i know i will have to live with this the rest of my life. i honestly do not focus on my gbs as much as i do my sobriety. i am happy with me. you all have a great day and thank you for letting me share.
vickiang
on 8/2/06 5:55 am - Austin, TX
Hi Diane! This is the place. It may sound sometimes like a board for alcoholics and AA, but it's for ALL addictions and in no way affiliated with AA, NA, CA, GA and I don't what the sex one is! I hope you become a regular. Though small, we are growing as for many of us, this is the primary, most life threatening aspact of our lives and we can't share elsewhere. Later, Vicki
Bethany J.
on 8/2/06 11:03 am - Granby, CT
Hi Diane, looking forward in hearing more from you~ ~Bethany
Patricia R.
on 8/2/06 12:00 pm - Perry, MI
Hi there, Welcome to the board. There are a lot of different ways to get sober. AA and 12 step recovery is a great tool that helps with more than just not drinking. The 12 steps are a way of life that helps to clear the emotional clutter from our thinking and help us feel better about ourselves in general. Group support has been found to be effective in helping alcoholics and addicts overcome their addictions. I tried it on my own and found it harder when the stuff hit the fan in my life. That said, this group is not affiliated with any of the recovery groups, and is for support. I have not had my surgery yet, and I have been in recovery for alcoholism for 18 years, sober almost five of them. Have a great day. Trish
Lauretta
on 8/2/06 4:16 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Hi Trish, Glad you are back in town and on th mb! Laurie
Lauretta
on 8/2/06 4:11 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
welcome! You are an inspiration. I need to hear what it can do to us after wls. Altho I do not struggle frequently with thoughts of drinking it certainly has been a reservation early in recovery. As I learned more about the problems post ops had from drinking it sealed the deal for me. No drinking!!! We are a growing group here and glad to have you among us. laurie
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 8/2/06 7:43 pm - East Burbs, MN
Hi Diane~ Welcome and thank you for sharing your inspiring story! Dana 41 days sober..
allyoop_702
on 8/2/06 10:37 pm - rome, OH
thank you all so much for the warm welcome. i want to thank vicki for introducing me to this forum. i think about drinking here and there but since the deaths in my family it makes me stronger and i do realize i cannot and will not drink. i look at my kids and i see all they have lost and the last thing they need to lose is me. i have no desire to go to a meeting. to me, it would be another crutch to hold onto like the alcohol was. i respect anybody *****covers they way they choose. what works for you works. the way i do it has worked for me. i know what a drink will do to me and my life is more important than anything. i am here to support anyone with their recovery. if you need to ask me anything, feel free. i also want to say congratualtions to everyone for their sobriety. it is not an easy thing to do and it takes a strong person to fight it. best of luck to you all!!!! looking forward to getting to know you!!! have a great day!!
Lauretta
on 8/3/06 4:42 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Whoo-hoo! 41 days! Good job Dana! Keep comin' back! I am thrilled for you. Those earliest days are tuff. Laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views