New here....

PittsburghCutie
on 7/18/06 2:31 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi guys/gals! 30 years old from Pitts, PA, had surgery October of 04, lost about 130 pounds and maintaining. I'm depressed, I think I'm an alcoholic, and miserable. Help. Or at least point me in the right direction. I drink maybe once a week, which isn't much, but when I do drink, I get drunk, loud, mean, slur my speech, blah blah blah, then pass out. I can't tell if I'm depressed and miserable because I am lacking something in my diet, really am mental, or if it's the alcohol. Any thoughts on this? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Liz
Curious G.
on 7/18/06 7:11 am - Peachtree City, GA
For me it was a chicken and egg type of thing. I drank to quiet the anxiety, but what I did while drinking only begat more anxiety. Rinse. Repeat. Congrats on your weight loss! If you really think you have a problem with alcohol, I recommend making an appointment with a therapist, or attending a few 12 step meetings (if that is your thing). In the meantime, see if you CAN go without drinking for a while - set a limit, say 30 days. Talk to the therapist or your pcp about how you are feeling and why you are craving alcohol. My doctor prescribed meds for the anxiety and even some short term solutions for the initial adjustment period when I first stopped drinking, smoking pot AND tobacco. Talk about ANXIOUS! I'm doing MUCH better now and it was seriously the best thing I ever did - talking to the doc and a therapist about my transferrence from food to other things. I'm glad you're here - read back thru the posts, ask anything - these folks are wonderful and very helpful! Hugs, Michelle
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/06 11:56 am - CA
Patricia R.
on 7/20/06 2:03 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Shannon, Congratulations on 6 years since you are so young. That's terrific. Also, it looks like you have surgery coming up in a week and a half. Your surgery date is my preadmission testing date. Good luck and God bless. Trish
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/06 3:00 pm - CA
Lauretta
on 7/19/06 1:55 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Hi, I would agree. Using alcohol can be a substitite for the food you no longer binge on. I struggled for decades on my own. My drinking was not viewed as a problem but my feelings and emotion are. Alcohol is one of the ways I numbed the anxiety. It will progress if unchecked. I love my 12 step program. It has given me insight and tools just like wls is to deal. You do not have to be in the gutter to get help. Hugs, Laurie
Patricia R.
on 7/19/06 2:24 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Lizzie, I live outside Philadelphia. You are the only person who can decide if you are an alcoholic. But as has already been said, normal people don't question their drinking habits. My suggestion is to try some AA meetings and listen and consider what is being shared. Alcohol is a depressant, and guilt over drinking behavior can make a person feel like crap too. Put the drink down, go to some meetings and see what you think in a few weeks. I happen to be heading to Pittsburgh on Friday to visit my son who lives in Swissvale. Hugs, Trish
RHONDA FROM KY
on 7/28/06 2:55 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
hugs.. I'm with you ..*literally*..
PittsburghCutie
on 7/29/06 1:00 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
thanks doll.....
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views