Got a surgery date/Concern

Patricia R.
on 7/15/06 9:43 am - Perry, MI
Hi there, Now that I have a surgery date, I have a concern that has been on my mind since day one. My date is August 28. People in my pre-op support group, and my Pennsylvania message board, keep encouraging people when they get the surgery to use the morphine drip as much as possible. Being in recovery, that idea scares the S*** out of me. Free use of a morphine drip is like a day at the bar to me. In that I have never had major surgery, I am aware that I probably have no concept of the pain. I did just recently have toe surgery where the doc broke my toe and took part of the bone out though. (Never knew pain like that before.) I have been on narcotics, post-op, while in recovery, and have never abused them. BUT unlimited morphine??????? I just wanted to share a concern that has cropped into this addictive brain. Hugs, Trish
(deactivated member)
on 7/15/06 10:11 am - Saint Johns, FL
DS on 07/01/15
Trish, I am a recovering alcoholic, for 9 yrs. now and had the same concerns, also had never had surgery before...all I can say is that you will need the medication...you won't feel anything except being in pain or just plain sick...I was worried about this too, but really, after a major surgery like this...all that crossed my mind was I need the medicine for pain so I am not screaming and it only lasted a few days...the pump is there to push so that the nurses don't have to run in and out all day long...AND so you can be comfortable...after surgery I was definitely out of it...but I did not feel high..I felt like a sick person in the hospital...it will be ok..this too shall pass and your new life will begin... everyone has a different tolerance for pain, and the pump will make sure you are being taken care of...I am only 3 weeks post-op, but at least I could share my experience...good luck!
Patricia R.
on 7/15/06 1:01 pm - Perry, MI
Thanks for sharing your ESH. I know a few people who were not addicts till they had major surgery and went on the pain killers. My fear is a big relapse. I am going to make meetings and share, and take phone numbers. Hugs, Trish
Lauretta
on 7/15/06 11:15 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
I agree with the previous poster. Also it is not unlimited. The machines allow a pre determined amount to be given at specific intervals. You can push the button for example every 10 minutes. Pu**** more and no med is given. I was on the pump at least 24 hours. Then I went to IM. Upon going home I had liquid lortab. I took it 3 times. I did not want to take any more and the extra strength Tylenol worked. I had open rny. I did take it easy. I walked around the house hourly when awake to get the blood flowing. I have a high pain tolerance but after surgery ALL I wanted was pain meds!!!!! After 24 hours I felt okay with lesser drugs. It did not make me crave pain meds and I was addicted to them pre op! weeks later is another story but interestingly it was my anxiety not physical pain that triggered my cravings. Hindsight is 20/20. Glad you asked and congrats on your date!!!!! Laurie
Patricia R.
on 7/15/06 1:04 pm - Perry, MI
Thanks, Laurie, I know a girl who had abdominal surgery, who became addicted to the painkillers and has struggled for years with recovery/relapse. My own experience has been knee surgery, where I was on Percoset, but was able to taper off them and not need them as much as they were prescribed. Recently, I was on Vicodin for toe surgery, and was able to not abuse them, and not need more after it ran out. I did have Tylenol w/Codeine a few years ago for foot surgery, and again, I did not abuse it. I will be sure to make my meetings and talk about it before and after. Thanks for the encoruagement. Hugs, Trish
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views