Good for you

vickiang
on 7/5/06 8:06 am - Austin, TX
This board is really starting to pick up with people who either want to be sober/clean/absisnent or people maintaining one day at a time. When you post, you help me immensely. There's another addiction board where if I post an emergency, it will take days for an answer. We all end up invariably abandoning them out of frustration and futility. I hope you know that when I'm honest in telling you about my relapse and the ugly side of things as well as the good, that you always have a home here no matter what the cir****tances. NUMBER ONE mistake people make is isolating when things aren't going well. That's the very time we need help! LOL! I used to think I had to be the "perfect" drunk. Like you can do it wrong...what's that all about? (pride, ego, self-centeredness) Kind of a disappointment when I crawled in the room, tail between my legs after fretting for a couple of weeks, only to have people say "Oh yeah, I did that. Glad you're back". I know some squirrelly times arecoming up for me, but then again, life would be so boring were it stagnant. I don't need drama anymore, but I certainly invite change. And when and if I get stuck, I have every intention of asking for advice or different perspectives. Like someone said, I seem to always hear what I need to hear. If I listen, that is. Another good day. Meeting, doc, then a womens' club meeting, then Bunco. You gotta know NONE of that would have transpired had I been drinking. And God forbid I would ever commit myself to a post with the country club set. I never knew if I was going to be sober. And that's the truth. I still don't, but I have a good chance. Also, nice to be around people who treat me as a normal person because they don't know. For a long time I just hung around AA and it totally defined who I am. Now I can branch out and discover who I really am, not the alcohol. It will all go up in smoke with a drink. (Gawd..sound like a pious old-timer, huh?) Vicki
Curious G.
on 7/5/06 9:05 am - Peachtree City, GA
I too like spending time with those who "get it" as well as those who don't. Most of my acquaintences have absolutely no idea that I've ever had any problems with drugs or alcohol at all. Boy it sure takes a lot of energy maintaining that front! I'm glad that I no longer have to do that, or that I no longer cancel things at the last minute due to being too tipsy to drive, or too hungover to look anybody in the face. I'm finding that working at home however is starting to make me depressed... I need more social outlets or I'm prone to crawl inside myself a bit too far. I wish I had a group of gals to play bunco with or go to outings. I have my two best girlfriends, and although they're great - they have very busy lives too! This board helps me too - I love you guys for your honesty, and for reminding me that i'm not some kind of freak - i'm normally abnormal~! hugs, m
Lauretta
on 7/5/06 10:33 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Vicki, Thanks for posting this. I look forward to logging on and touching base with others who Get it. I have a close circle of friends inside and outside of the fellowship. I have to say I spend most of my time with others in recovery on a daily basis. I really like this forum because it deals in addition to substance abuse the food issues which only someone who has experienced it understands. Getting ready for the 8 pm mtg now. i pick up my 2 yr key fob tonight and celebrate with the group the last Sat of July. We usually go out to eat then have a meeting and the celebrant tells their story. I am more comfortable this year because I have some recovery to share. The first year was all about the change. Where I was and what I was working on to change it. My husband wants to attend which feels a bit weird but heck we have been together for over 30 yr. Not much he does not know about me!! LOL. I am trying to change my picture but I am having issues with it so I may have to contact OH. I really am starting to hate that damn birthday photo!! LOL Have a good night. laur
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views