HI all, This is m...

boyzz
on 7/1/06 11:05 am - Hudson, OH
HI all, This is my first visit here and I need to get some support. I am currently in recovery, a year this month. I started looking into WLS about 2 years ago, seriously for 1 1/2 years. Everything went well, until the psych evaluation. The surgery center denied me, for a history of substance abuse, and I appealed. They are " thinking about" it and discussing it, with much for me to do. Weekly counseling, meeting, sponser etc. I am doing all they ask, just getting so frustrated and down at the moment. I feel I have no control of the situation and just another "problem" that my past had gotten me in. Has anyone had this? and did you ever get to have WLS? Thanks, Boyzz
Patricia R.
on 7/1/06 2:05 pm - Perry, MI
I think it is great that you are at a year of sobriety. Have you been active in 12 step meetings, or are you just starting to participate in the program? I am a pre-op patient who has been in recovery for what feels like forever. I also am a therapist. I also have been in therapy for a very long time. What I understand is that WLS does not change our addictive feelings and urges, it just gives us a tool to stop overeating. Many people switch substances, and stop overeating and start drinking or drugging. What it appears is happening is that your surgeon is attempting to prepare you emotionally for the post-op stuff where your sobriety could be in jeopardy if you do not have a solid foundation of recovery under your belt. Don't give up and despair. Have you done a 4th and 5th step in program? That would help you come to terms with the ghosts of the past. Keep posting and sharing in the meetings. It will get better. Hugs, Trish
boyzz
on 7/2/06 12:49 pm - Hudson, OH
Thanks Trish, Yes I have been going to meetings since last July, after 9 days in Detox. I havent done a 4th step yep, my sponser has kept me on the 1st step all year. I am now onto step 2, she says if you dont get the 1st step "right", the rest wont be either. Anyway, the surgeon and staff are "reviewing" me this week, and hopefully they will decide to allow me to have the insurance, and then they will send it to the insurance. Been quite a rollercoaster and hopefully I will be approved, then suregery approcal and the surgery in aug/sept. I am hoping and praying... Thanks, Boyzz
Lauretta
on 7/3/06 6:28 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
I just wanted to drop in and congratulate you. I wish ypou the best of luck with surgery. I find that my 12 step program really helps me apply my post op routine. It is another tool in my toolbox! Laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views