Pain Killers

Patricia R.
on 6/16/06 5:26 am - Perry, MI
Hi everyone, I just joined yesterday. I have almost five years sobriety this September. Two days ago I had toe surgery, and was put on Vicodin. Well, they are messing with my head. I can't drive, so I can't get to a meeting. I am feeling sorry for myself with the pain, and the fact that i can't drive. I am just feeling crappy overall. I am tempted to take them before the time I am supposed to. Just being honest with people who might understand. Hugs, Trish
vickiang
on 6/16/06 10:17 am - Austin, TX
Oh hell. In 11 years, the 2 times I went out was on Vicodin. My sponsor says it absolutely replicates the effects of alcohol and is a death knoll for people in recovery. But once you start taking it, it is sooo comfortable! I made my surgeon give me a non-narcotic pain killer for my last surgery. He gave me Tramadol. Wasn't as painless as before, took a little longer, but I didn't go out. And frankly, one week more of healing is a hell of a lot less than a 3 month relapse, and I'm lucky to have even had it for that short of a time. I told myself I was taking it as prescribes, and I was. Sponsor says, and this is her opinion and I personally don't know, that once we are alcoholics, are brains are chemically altered and what is normal for others can wipe us out. I know, for me, three weeks on Vicodin, as prescribed, and when I went off of it, I was dizzy, disoriented, shaking, and scared. Don't mean to sound doomsday. It is just as foolish to refuse it and be a martyr if you really need it. Just be aware. It's a seductive drug, as is Percocet. And I'm not even a druggie. I hate pills! Give me a Gag Crystal Light and vodka...the pinnacle of denial drinks! Vicki
Lauretta
on 6/16/06 10:35 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
One of the main reasons I joined NA instead of AA is because of my use of pain and diet pills. Alcohol has always been my gateway drug and the easiest to get and use. however, after years of medicine to deal with my pain issues I was hooked. I elect not to use any mind altering substances it is just too risky. Now that said I am NOT a martyr. I have taken pain meds as perscribed when needed. For weeks I struggled with hourly cravings to drink when I stopped. I was embarrassed and fearful. Once I addressed the issue with my sponsor it took the edge off just acknowledging it and gradually it subsided. I will take them again if I NEED to. I will be better prepared for the cravings. I am told the mind does not know the difference between taking medicine for medicinal purposes or to get high. When we use medicines all the body knows is that it likes it! Stay close to your program. Now is when you need it most. Stop the pills as soon as possible or see if you can get something else.Post to us if that helps. I definetly understand!!!!! Laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views